Installing rclone as service with nssm keeps it paused

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Using NSSM to create a rclone sync service that would copy in real time (and update any changes) files from a destination to a source, both on the same machine, but on different physical disks.

The issue is that service runs once as I start it, and then it throws an error

"Windows could not start the service on Local Computer
The service did not return an error. This could be an inernal Windows error or an internal service error.
If the problem persists, contact your system administrator."

And then it goes in paused mode. Every time I try to resume it, would do one syncing operation and return back to paused state. There was one way in which I managed to keep it running, with the -i flag, but that does nothing, even if I also add the --auto-confirm flag.

From my research, this happens when the script terminates almost instantly. And the fact that it starts and runs when using the -i flag confirms it.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.57.0

• os/version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro N 2009 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 10.0.19044.1526 (x86_64)
  • os/type: windows
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.17.2
  • go/linking: dynamic
  • go/tags: cmount

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Local machine, a different physical drive.

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

sync  --no-console  "R:\Critical_To_Keep" rclone_ramdisk:"F:\__BKP\Critical_To_Keep"

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[rclone_ramdisk]
type = local

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Not relevant at this stage.

What I need:

I need a solution to keep the service running, so it won't enter pause mode and it will instantly copy new files or replace modified files from the source to the destination on the go.

Also, as a bonus, it would be ideal if I could make the app to also remove the files a the destination that are no longer present at source. I looked over the check command with --missing-on-src flag and i could output in a text file the full paths of the files that matched the filter. However, I wouldn't know how to use this in an elegant manner for my purpose.
I have basic scripting skills, but nothing that could help me produce a vba or bat file complex enough for this kind of task.
Any help appreciated.

Rclone is not a real time mirroring tool.

It'll run once and be done.

A service would be for a mount.

I'd assume there are a plethora of mirroring tools for Windows out there.

I'd assume too... except I couldn't find any. I also assumed that a rclone service would keep running in the background and do its job. I was wrong in that assumption either.

Do you happen to know of some of such real time cloning solutions? I would appreciate some suggestions.
This is how I found rclone, by searching and trying various ones... too bad it can't do real time sync.

Not a Windows guy sorry.

I'd end up just googling real time sync tools for Windows and you'd get the same results.

Perhaps someone Windowy will chime in with a suggestion.

hello and welcome to the forum,

not sure about your exact use case, but, using a simple batch file, run rclone in loop.

1. rclone ...
  2. sleep for time period
  3. goto step 1

on windows, for local to local, i never use rclone.
most of the time, i use fastcopy, when i have to, use robocopy

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.