Installing Docker Volume Plugin on a Windows machine

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I am trying to install the Docker Volume Plugin on a Windows 10 machine, according to the instructions found in this link. To be clear, the plugin appears to install fine using \tmp folder but I need to supply it with a pre-existing & working rcopy config file.

When I specify an alternative/external folder, I see the following error (below).

This topic seems to be identical to this & this one which were closed in 01/2022. I followed these links but couldn't see a resolution. In case it helps, I've also posed this question to the Docker Community here.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

Apologies but the Docker plugin install' does not accept a -vv flag. The plugin install is downloading the latest (whatever that is).

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

I'm doubtful this is relevant but I have rclone working (outside of Docker) to an Azure Storage Account using NFS. I want to mount the NFS drive to an app which runs as a container managed by Docker.

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

docker plugin install rclone/docker-volume-rclone:amd64 --alias rclone --grant-all-permissions args="-v --allow-other" config="/mnt/host/C/rcloneX/" cache="/mnt/host/C/rcloneX/"
amd64: Pulling from rclone/docker-volume-rclone
Digest: sha256:64764bd9c44dfd51493053b2bb01c4d195508dc3e27205a8ca3aaa18d1e7e7d7
b3ccc0a5dd52: Complete
Error response from daemon: failed to create task for container: failed to create shim task: OCI runtime create failed: runc create failed: unable to start container process: error during container init: error mounting "/mnt/host/C/rcloneX/" to rootfs at "/data/config": stat /mnt/host/C/rcloneX/: no such file or directory: unknown

On my Windows machine I created a directory C:\rcloneX. I understood that because I'm using WSL2, the windows host machine file system should be available at /mnt/host/[drive]/dir... (but that doesn't appear the case for Docker itself).

Please run 'rclone config redacted' and share the full output. If you get command not found, please make sure to update rclone.

Happy to provide if you think it's relevant but this is the crux of my problem - I can't make this available to the plugin :wink:

A log from the command that you were trying to run with the -vv flag

'docker plugin install' does not accept a -vv flag.

For completeness I'm running Docker Desktop 4.25.0 (126437) with WSL2 enabled. I suppose I could try and revert to Hyper-V !

Here's the output if I use \tmp as the folder. This appears to work because \tmp obviously exists in the container. Of course the problem is, I don't have access to \tmp (it's in the Docker container) so I can't copy my working rclone control file to it.

docker plugin install rclone/docker-volume-rclone:amd64 --alias rclone --grant-all-permissions args="-v --allow-other" config="/tmp" cache="/tmp"

Thanks for reading.

Just to add, another user resolved this challenge using Docker Desktop on a mac - see here but this depends upon the fact that /private on a Mac is accessible to both Docker and host machine.

welcome to the forum,

rclone should accept -vv, see below

not sure that is correct, see below

docker plugin install rclone/docker-volume-rclone:amd64 --alias rclone --grant-all-permissions args="-vv --allow-other" config="/run/desktop/mnt/host/c/rcloneX/config" cache="/run/desktop/mnt/host/c/rcloneX/cache" 
b3ccc0a5dd52: Waiting
b3ccc0a5dd52: Pulling fs layer
b3ccc0a5dd52: Download complete
b3ccc0a5dd52: Complete
Installed plugin rclone/docker-volume-rclone:amd64

docker volume create firstvolume -d rclone -o type=sftp -o sftp-host=xxx -o sftp-user=xxx -o sftp-pass=xxx -o allow-other=true 
firstvolume

Thank-you so much. This does indeed work. Might it be worth providing a Windows example containing this path information

/run/desktop/mnt/host/[drive]/folder

in the rclone Docker Volume Plugin doc ?

I say this simply because it wasn't (at least for me) easy to find.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.