/ in filename being converted to to / when syncing with google drive

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

The unrelated unicode character / in filenames are converted to / when uploading to google drive. Not sure if this behavior is intended, or a consequence of google drive itself. If the former, I would like to know how to disable the conversion.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

linux/amd64

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone sync /home/user/Music remote:music

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

hello and welcome to the forum,

rclone can make changes to certain characters, you can read more about that here
https://rclone.org/overview/#restricted-characters

By disable the conversion, what is it you want rclone to do? The forward slash is a reserved character in most file systems. If it uploaded with a slash (which I think drive actually will allow) it could'nt sync it back down again.

Thank you. I changed the encoding and have it working as I intended.

No, it changes the non-reserved character / to the reserved one when uploading to google drive. That's why it was an issue: when I tried syncing on my phone with an unrelated app, some of the downloads failed because rclone encoded / as / when it uploaded. Why this behavior is enabled by default I don't know.

I believe its there incase rclone had previously downloaded files containing that /. It would need a way to match for syncing. So it just uniform converts these things back and forth.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.