Idea to improve wording of "auto config" during configuration

Hi,

I often see forum post from users, that get stuck during configuration of a new remote and seem unaware that they are using a "remote or headless machine":

Use auto config?
 * Say Y if not sure
 * Say N if you are working on a remote or headless machine

y) Yes (default)
n) No
y/n>

Perhaps these terms aren't widely known and thereby leave many unsure and then (wrongly) selecting Y

If so, then we could help both users and ourselves by rephrasing.

Here is an idea for inspiration (not sure if it is technically correct):

Use automatic browser based authentication setup?
 * Say Y if your machine has an internet  browser or not sure
 * Say N if you are working on a (remote) machine without internet browser or the above fails

y) Yes (default)
n) No
y/n>

I will leave it to somebody native English to make a good wording.

Addendum:

Perhaps we should also copy the below sentence from OneDrive to Google Drive:

See the remote setup docs for how to set it up on a machine with no Internet browser available.

2 Likes

We have been through an iteration of this before I think! Can't find the commit.

I like your idea of pointing out a web browser is needed. I think we need to stress that this is about the machine that rclone is running on.

How about this?

Use automatic browser based authentication setup?
 * Say Y if the machine your are running rclone on has a web browser you can use
 * Say N if you are running rclone on a (remote) machine without a web browser access
If not sure say Y. If you have tried Y and it didn't work, try N.

All the oauth based backends should have that in their help somewhere if you feel like doing a mass update!

Here is a list of the backends which use OAuth - I've written :white_check_mark: by them if I found the string remote_setup in their docs.

• amazonclouddrive :white_check_mark:
  • azureblob
  • box :white_check_mark:
  • drive
  • dropbox
  • filefabric
  • googlecloudstorage
  • googlephotos
  • hidrive :white_check_mark:
  • jottacloud
  • mailru
  • onedrive :white_check_mark:
  • pcloud :white_check_mark:
  • premiumizeme :white_check_mark:
  • putio
  • sharefile :white_check_mark:
  • yandex :white_check_mark:
  • zoho :white_check_mark:

I like those changes as that definitely seems to be a confusing point.

I like it, thanks!

I will make a PR including the mass update in a few days when everybody has had a chance to comment.

In the meantime I have a curious linguistic question to this sentence: "a machine without a web browser access". I would say either "a machine without a web browser" or "a machine without web browser access". Is it a typo or my English needing adjustment?

Hmm.

English sucks as a language :slight_smile:

I'd probably remove the word access and go with your second.

This is good!

The access is to imply the user needs to be able to use the web browser. It is perfectly possible to ssh into a remote machine that has a web browser installed, but you can't use it. I wanted to explain that somehow (perhaps unnecessarily)!

Would it be helpful if the question described a bit more clearly what is being auto configured?

Something like this:

Use web browser to automatically authenticate rclone with remote?
 * Say Y if the machine running rclone has a web browser you can directly access
 * Say N if the machine running rclone is without a web browser (or if Y fails)

y) Yes (default)
n) No

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.