I want to download a shared with me folder to my local machine

Hi,
I’m a bit lost on the right command to achieve this, for some reason I always end up getting this “Fatal error: unknown flag: " when I try to use the flag --drive-shared-with-me,
so what I have is, a folder that is open and shared with me in my google drive account with the name " users” the full path to the folder " dataset/complete/users"
now on my local machine ( it is an ec2 with ssh if it does matter), I have a folder called ai on the path " home/user/ai"
what is the right command to download the full content of users including subfolders, into my ai folder?

Any help is really appreciated.

That should definitely work - double check the spelling

--drive-shared-with-me   Only show files that are shared with me.
1 Like

What does rclone version show?

1 Like

unfortunately, it won’t work, this is some of the commands i tried:
rclone copy --drive-shared-with-me " dataset/complete/users" remote2:/home/user/ai

rclone copy --drive-shared-with-me remote2:dataset/complete/users remote2:/home/user/ai

rclone copy --drive-shared-with-me dataset/complete/users remote2:/home/user/ai

rclone copy --drive-shared-with-me “dataset/complete/users” remote2:"/home/user/ai"

all of them yield : Fatal error: unknown flag: --drive-shared-with-me

rclone version shows:
rclone v1.36

if i try to update:
rclone is already the newest version (1.36-3)

1.46 is the current newest version:

To grab it;
https://rclone.org/install/
Don’t use your package manager.

1 Like

oh, I didn’t see that, okay great I will upgrade now.
just one last question, which one of the above commands is the correct one for my case? I’m a bit lost after I triad so many
Thank you so much

After your first post it seems you use an Unix based system, so this would be work for you:

Script installation
To install rclone on Linux/macOS/BSD systems, run:

curl https://rclone.org/install.sh | sudo bash

1 Like

oh thank you but I meant to download my folder after upgrading the software, which one from these commands :

rclone copy --drive-shared-with-me " dataset/complete/users" remote2:/home/user/ai

rclone copy --drive-shared-with-me remote2:dataset/complete/users remote2:/home/user/ai

rclone copy --drive-shared-with-me dataset/complete/users remote2:/home/user/ai

rclone copy --drive-shared-with-me “dataset/complete/users” remote2:"/home/user/ai"

really I appreciate your help :slight_smile:

okay I upgrade it but I get this error:
2019/02/16 18:06:58 ERROR : : error reading source directory: directory not found
so, I assume my command to fetch the source file is wrong, what is the correct command to do this?

Thank you

okay never mind, I got it to download using this command:
rclone copy --drive-shared-with-me remote2:dataset/complete/users /home/user/ai
but it seems like it is very slow, is this normal?
my subfolders contain a large number of files(around 2 MB in size each), the full folder is about 95 GB.

try to increase this parameter:

--transfers <int>

default value is 4

More transfers would make it much worse.

You need to use your own key:

https://rclone.org/drive/#making-your-own-client-id

okay, this is getting very slow now, the speed is around 490 KB, (it has been on for 38 hours downloaded 60 GB only)!!
I’m planning on stopping it and then set up my own key as advised, but what will happen to the downloaded files if I did this?
when I start the same command after getting my key will it continue from where it stopped?

i did just this and added my key and refreshed the token,
now when i try to copy i get this error:

: Failed to copy: failed to open source object: open file failed: googleapi: Error 403: The download quota for this file has been exceeded., downloadQuotaExceeded

oh no, now went back to the rclone key as before and i’m getting the same error!!!
any idea on how to fix this?

thanks

What version of rclone are you using?

rclone version

rclone v1.46
I updated it just last night

That error means someone has already downloaded it too many times and you’d have to wait ~24 hours to try again.

Where you using a different version before?

Yes it was a very old version that the flag --shared-with-me didn’t work with. (It wan’t last night but the day before).
That’s okay I have got 80% of the data already downloaded which i can easily work with utill this issue is sorted.
Thank you for your help