How to use rclone mount as network in Windows for backup?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I am trying use rclone with google drive for my windows 10 backup. Using rclone mount I can map to a network share drive, but this drive is not appearing as a network drive to backup my windows files from Windows Start -> Settings -> Update & security -> Backup -> Go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7) -> Setup Backup -> Save on a network. How do I make this my google drive to appear hear to select as backup drive? Is it possible?

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Version v1.53.3

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Windows 10, 64 bit

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount --fuse-flag --VolumePrefix=\server\share mydrive: m:

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

hello and welcome to the forum,

that windows7 backup is no longer supported on windows 10.
but if you want to use it, keep in mind that is runs with the highest level of system privileges.
so run the rclone mount as system user and see if that works.

Hi ,

Thanks for the response.
I am new to rclone. Please give some suggestion to use system privileges command for rclone mount or reference to documentation to look for details.

Alternatively please suggest for best way to use rclone for backup in Windows 10. My use case is as follows, I have personal files, for example in C:\personal, every time I update or add any new files, rclone must take a copy and save a backup in cloud(ex: google drive)

Thanks.

there are many ways to run an app as system user, the easiest is task scheduler.
some use nssm, sometimes i use psexec.

tho i would not use rclone mount instead rclone sync with --backup-dir set to a folder with a timestamp.
a kind of forever forward incremental backup.

for example,
rclone sync C:\personal remote:backup --backup-dir=remote:archive/20201226.132707

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.