How to reduce need for bisync::resync?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I've just setup rclone::bisync to run on several computers, with rclone connected to the same google drive account (with another crypt overlay). I only work on one computer at a time but like to switch workstations to watch TV, work away from home, or get into a different chair sometimes.

Normally it seems if I continue to run bisync in a loop on all machines, everything is fine. However, sometimes when a machine is rebooted, it seems to forget its state and bisync requires a resync. The resync then often forgets which side has deleted some files and I end up with duplicates, strange permission errors, or other issues.

I'm not sure why the machines forget their state sometimes. Perhaps they were shut down during a bisync. But is there a way to reduce the frequency of required resyncs? Or is there perhaps a way to tell bisync to only modify the "last known state" after a sync has successfully finished (i.e., if a sync is interrupted, just disregard any working changes made so the next attempt at a sync can continue without requiring a resync)?

I've been using unison without issues the last few years so I may need to revert to using rclone only as a mount with unison to do the actual syncing, if I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.58.1
- os/version: ubuntu 22.04 (64 bit)
- os/kernel: 5.15.0-33-generic (x86_64)
- os/type: linux
- os/arch: amd64
- go/version: go1.17.9
- go/linking: static
- go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive, overlayed with crypt.

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone bisync --progress --transfers 20 --verbose --resync --force REDACTED_Secure:"/" "/home/me/Documents/REDACTED"

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[REDACTED_GoogleDrive_Direct]
type = drive
scope = drive
root_folder_id = REDACTED
token = REDACTED
team_drive = 
client_id = REDACTED
client_secret = REDACTED
batch_size = 25
batch_commit_timeout = 2m0s
tpslimit = 10
tpslimit_burst = 10
use_trash = false

[REDACTED_GoogleDrive_Secure]
type = crypt
remote = REDACTED_GoogleDrive_Direct:/secure
password = REDACTED
password2 = REDACTED

What do you get for rclone config paths? Is it possible that the database used by bisync is being wiped or is on a temp drive?

There are lots of design decisions with bi-directional sync and where to store the past-state can be a tricky one. (I wrote syncrclone which has some notable differences based on different preferences (and design decisions))

I get the following:

Config file: /home/me/.config/rclone/rclone.conf
Cache dir:   /home/me/.cache/rclone
Temp dir:    /tmp

I'm not yet familiar enough with rclone to say whether the database ends up in /tmp, but that would seem to be a suspect if so.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.