How to make sure all files have been copied/synced after initial copy

Hi all,

Total newbie for rclone here, so this is hopefully a simple question. I've been using rclone to replicate my Dropbox in Google Drive. Thanks in advance for the support!

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I've copied files successfully over the course of a few days, but in the meantime I have been modifying and creating files in Dropbox. I want to make sure the files in Google Drive are updated to mirror Dropbox without initiating the whole transfer again.

I've read of multiple ways to do this, but I'm conscious that I need to get it right the first time otherwise I may end up deleting my Google Drive files and starting again. I believe I could potentially use:

• The exact same command as I have run below. Because --update is included this may have the desired outcome, where files that are in Google Drive and are identical to Dropbox will not be touched/re-copied, but new files will be copied and modified files will be overwritten with the new version
  • Using sync instead of copy. I'm not sure if this will work directly after the copy, or how I should structure the sync command given what I have already copied

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

os/version: debain 11.8 (64 bit)
os/kernel: 5.10.0-26-cloud-amd64 (x86_64)
os/type: linux
os/arch: amd64
go/version: go1.24.4
go/linking: static
go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Dropbox and Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone copy --update --tpslimit 4 --transfers 4 --checkers 4 --verbose dropbox: gdrive:/DROPBOX --log-file rclone.log & disown

Please run 'rclone config redacted' and share the full output. If you get command not found, please make sure to update rclone.

[dropbox]
type = dropbox
token = XXX

[gdrive]
type = drive
scope = drive
token = XXX
team_drive = 
### Double check the config for sensitive info before posting publicly

A log from the command that you were trying to run with the -vv flag

Unsure of what to do here

welcome to the forum,

check out the flag --dry-run
Do a trial run with no permanent changes. Use this to see what rclone would do without actually doing it. Useful when setting up the sync command which deletes files in the destination

rclone copy
Does not transfer files that are identical on source and destination

1 Like

To run pure check you can also use command rclone check/cryptcheck which exist exactly for this purpose.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you both - this has been really helpful :pray:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.