How to make rclone copy local to localdestination stop when out of space?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

rclone continues to list every file to be copied after locally mounted destination says it has no space.
It appears it would continue to do that forever, I would prefer it to abort with an error.

I can't find any way to make it stop if the localdestination is out of space.
Aiming to copy 8TB and only got about 70GB before it ran out of inodes on destination (count has since been increased).

copy from local to localdestination - both local and localdestination are SMB mounted on this linux host.
It has actually run out of inodes on the localdestination drive (and the local linux can't see inode count).

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.57.0-DEV

• os/version: redhat 8.5 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 4.18.0-348.23.1.el8_5.x86_64 (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.16.12
  • go/linking: dynamic
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using?

NONE - doing local copy between mounted smb shares.

rclone copy Projects /mnt/v2irt/Projects --exclude Manual_Processing/**

#### The rclone config contents with secrets removed.  

No config: reports NOTICE: Config file "/srv/home/user/.config/rclone/rclone.conf" not found - using defaults

2022/05/19 14:10:40 ERROR : 2434 Stability Testing/5 Photos/IMG_5018.JPG: Failed to copy: mkdir /mnt/v2irt/Projects/2434 Stability Testing: no space left on device
2022/05/19 14:10:40 ERROR : 2435 Rail Profile Nov17/2 Data & Analysis/Oct 15 measuremnts/Day 4/Photos/PA170768.ORF: Failed to copy: mkdir /mnt/v2irt/Projects/2435 Rail Profile Nov17: no space left on device
lots and lots
2022/05/19 14:10:42 ERROR : 2435 Rail Profile Nov17/2 Data & Analysis/Oct 15 measuremnts/Day 4/Photos/PA170777.JPG: Failed to copy: mkdir /mnt/v2irt/Projects/2435 Rail Profile Audit Nov17: no space left on device```

We could make a --local-fatal-if-no-space flag or something like that?

That would be fairly easy, except for making it cross platform on all the different platforms rclone supports.

Hi Nick,
I'm just suprised that this hasn't been a problem or reported before.
Yes, a flag to stop on that error would be good.

FYI - my log file had 15000 lines of the ERROR: filename:Failed to copy: open localdest/filename: no space left on device - created in just 2 minutes.

Normally I would use rsync for local to local, but wanted to reuse a script that had been sending from local to google drive.
I might add a wrapper with a check for multiple ERROR: in the log file output to kill the rclone process into the script as a work around solution. [apparently my destination disk only increases inode availability nightly]
rclone has been very fast for local to local smb mount file transfers.

It probably has!

Can you have a look through the rclone issues, and if you can't find one, create a new one and link it here?

What does rsync do if the local disk fills up? That is usually a good guide as to what rclone should do!

I use it myself for such things as I like the checksum checking!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.