How to ignore new files added to directory after rclone move/copy started

I'm new to rclone however I've searched around google, forum and the documentation and it seems to have passed over my head? Seems like something that definitely exists. I'm not sure whether rclone takes in new files in source directory or not but right now it seems like it updates the total size and include whatever I place in the source directory after task is started.

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I can see the total size waiting for transfer go up when I put files into the directory that's currently copying/moving. But what if I need it to ignore new files and only transfer the files present at time of initilizing the task?

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.58.1

• os/version: ubuntu 20.04 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 4.19.0-20-amd64 (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.17.9
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone move --progress -v --delete-empty-src-dirs --transfers 8 --retries 3  /downloads/completed gdrive:/folder

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

unrelated

A log from the command with the -vv flag

unrelated

Try --check-first - this will find all the files that need transferring first before starting any transfers.

interesting, the description for that flag feels unrelated to what I'm trying to achieve but the last sentence "This means that all the info on the objects to transfer is held in memory before the transfers start." sounds back on track, thanks I'm testing it out

1 Like

actually i have no idea what the default behaviour is anymore, sometimes it adds it to the queue, sometimes it doesn't i don't know what's going on

Things only get added first to the checking queue and if they need transferring to the transfer queue. With the --check-first flag, the transfer queue will grow until the directory traversal has finished and only then with the actual transfers start.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.