How to Execute programs inside a mount

thanks to @ncw, now we know we can execute programs inside a mount using --file-perms 0777

my head has exploded and i struggle to understand. please help me.
not sure how to explain it, i need another beer.
in fact, i ran rclone mount inside another rclone mount, recursively.

so i copied my local rclone folder to the mounted folder and ran rclone inside that mounted folder and it worked.

here is the first mount command, as run on my local c: drive
C:\data\rclone\scripts\rclone.exe mount wasabieast2:en07 b:\mount\mount01 --file-perms 0777 --vfs-cache-mode=full
the mount is b:\mount\mount01

and then i ran rclone inside that mount like this.
b:\mount\mount01\rclone\rclone.exe mount wasabieast2:en07 b:\mount\mount02 --file-perms 0777 --vfs-cache-mode=full
the second mount is b:\mount\mount02

and then i did for a third time, mounted rclone inside rclone mount inside yet another rclone mount using this command
b:\mount\mount02\rclone\rclone.exe mount wasabieast2:en07 b:\mount\mount03 --file-perms 0777 --vfs-cache-mode=full
the third mount is b:\mount\mount03

and i did it again, fourth time

b:\mount\mount03\rclone\rclone.exe mount wasabieast2:en07 b:\mount\mount04 --file-perms 0777 --vfs-cache-mode=full

1 Like

I don't think it's as complicated as it looks. It should effectively just behave as running concurrent rclone instances - except if you pulled the plug on the first mount then it would all fall down.

I don't think the data actually travels recursively or anything. After all, running a program from a Cloud drive - it still executes locally, so there shouldn't effectively be any more overhead to this.

Now... why on earth you would wand to do this is another question entirely... but it's a fun science experiment :slight_smile:

Try not rip the fabric of space-time ok Jojo?

1 Like

agreed, the data is not traveling recursively.

but as a programmer, one of the best ways to test software is to use the software to run itself.

it is fun to push software and maybe rip a teeny, tiny hole in the fabric of space and time.

1 Like

Recursive rclones... Hmm... How does that work ... Stack Overflow Brain Dumped

just trying to think inside the box

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.