How to avoid rclone download unwanted file

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

1- When try playing video,i notice rclone will download some file that i dont need in cache folder.how to prevent this?
2- What recommend command to use for watching video online with no delay to fast forward like 5sec (maybe related to buffer?)
and want avoid data to write to my ssd if possible.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone-v1.56.0

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Paste command here
```rclone mount leech: M: --cache-dir=D:\tmp\rclone --vfs-cache-mode full ```

#### The rclone config contents with secrets removed.  
<!--  You should use 3 backticks to begin and end your paste to make it readable.   -->

```[hsemeon]
type = drive
client_id = 
client_secret = 
scope = drive
root_folder_id = 
token = 
team_drive = 
Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

hi,

rclone mount, on its own, does not download files.
another application is doing that, accessing the M: drive.

then do not use --vfs-cache-mode or store the cache on another drive.

that what i dont understand,i dont open anything unrelated. n my drive only consist of video.
i just open with explorer for some folder,suddenly in cache folder there video that on going download for full mode.while use write only,there no cache at all even i play some video.
Anyway what best command for me to play video with ability to skip sometime,do i need really need use full mode cache or only increase buffer?

perhaps windows explorer is scanning the media files for thumbnails or previews.
disable those features.
and might try --network-mode

for streaming media, many rcloners, including myself, do not use the vfs file cache.
in effect, the default value of --vfs-cache-mode=off
how well that works depends on your internet speed and what app is used to play the media files.

the buffer is not an effective solution for skipping.
but you can try it and see how it works out for you.
might try
--vfs-read-ahead SizeSuffix Extra read ahead over --buffer-size when using cache-mode full

i usually use mount with --read-only but it so delay if i want skip sometime. last question what command recommend for me to play file without fully download it,like using full mode,there always download full file

as i mentioned, rclone mount, on its own, does not download anything, the app does that.

for a given media file, rclone does chunked reading,
only downloads the chunks of a file, as requested by whatever app is playing the media file.
so if you play just one minute of a sixty minute media file, the app should ask rclone to download just the chunks needed for that one minute.
that can be proven when using --vfs-cache-mode=full and check the file size in the vfs file cache.

ok understand. so my potplayer cause it to fully download.thanks for your answer

fwiw, i do not believe that to be true without any proof.

even if the media file is local, why would any media player scan the entire 40GiB of a media file, just to play a single second?

yup that actually my concern why it download full video. now i also remember some file also auto downloading without touching anything. i just only open remote with explorer n some random video downloading in background.and i believe nothing of my background apps interact with remote mount

based on what do you make that claim?

ditto?

i dont know what u mean based on what?this is literally my pc lol. i check cache folder obviously

yes, but how to you know the real size of the cache?

for example, here i play one second of media file
from this screen snippet from the cache and it looks like rclone has downloaded the entire file.
but in fact, that is not the case, rclone has only downloaded just 20.3MB

yeah u right. my bad. i didnt know that lol :joy:

i think not buffer size what i find.
Screenshot 2022-04-22 052504
see that white line,i can skip without waiting for some white part. so my question what command i need adjust to make it larger so i can skip 4,5 sec without delay or its not possible?

rclone just downloads the chunk as requested by your app.

and i offered a suggestion up above, tho i have never used it.
--vfs-read-ahead Size Extra read ahead over --buffer-size when using cache-mode full

i just want find if possible to have that without using cache,because im used to it with debrid link

could try --magic, :wink:
but seriously, to skip ahead, rclone needs to read ahead, and to store that data in a cache.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.