How do I make rclone download sequentially a single file?

I want to copy a video file into my local machine, and start watching it while it's being copied. It seems that rclone downloads the file not in order, which makes it impossible to do this. Is there a way to make it download the file in sequential order?

BTW, I have tried mounting. Mounting is very buggy in macOS, and I can't even sudo kill -9 processes that hang because of a problem in the mounted drive.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.52.2

• os/arch: darwin/amd64
  • go version: go1.14.4

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

macOS Catalina

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone copy sth:somefile.mkv .

When you entered your question, there was a bunch of template information that would be needed to help you out.

I added those. I had not thought them relevant.

Can you run the same command now with debug (-vv) and share the output.

This will be obvious from the debug log, but I think you want to add --multi-thread-streams 0 to disable multithreaded downloads.

1 Like

Right, that's why I was asking for the debug log so we can show the answer to the OPs question and that's why we ask for the debug log first.

2 Likes

Is it possible to add a resume feature for single-threaded files (it shouldn't be hard, since there is only a single contiguous downloaded section at the beginning)? The net here can be very unstable, e.g., see this report. Alternatively, if it's possible to generate links (even if temporarily and needing cookies), I can feed those to an external downloader like aria2 and automate the link refreshing.

rclone will resume if the net has a glitch, but you mustn't quit rclone and start it again - it will start from the beginning in that case.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.