How can I set the config file outside of the working environment ? Somewhere on the web

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

How can I set the config file outside of the working environment ? Somewhere on the web.
I'd like to ask you to give me a solution about this.
I'd like to control my rclone outside of the current working environment by reach the config file. I mean where I should put the confog file to be able to reach it from everywhere?
I did try to put it on g.drive and share the file (can see who has the link) and set the rclone to use not the default setting by the command 'set RCLONE_CONFIG=xxxxx' like this
set RCLONE_CONFIG=https://drive.google.com/file/d/...ojphwim9avom_1W_E...UsV2m..../view?usp=sharing
But the result is something other than I expected.

c:\rclone>rclone config file
Configuration file is stored at:
c:\rclone\https://drive.google.com/file/d/...ojphwim9avom_1W_E...UsV2m..../view?usp=sharing

There is some extra at the beginning of the location
c:\rclone\
I didn't put this into the command anyway
So I failed to set the location outside of the working environment not just the lack of capability to use g.drive sharing, it was just my obvious first idea to put the config there. I really don't know, it should works or not with g.drive file sharing. But I also got a wrong answer when I asked rclone where is the current config after when I set the new location. Yes I did try to set other locations within the working environment and those try were success.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone-v1.53.2-windows-amd64

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

W10 64bit

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Paste command here

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

Not sure you can as it needs to edit that file to update tokens and such and it expects it to be a local file.

write a script.
each time rclone is run, sync the config file in the cloud to local.
and use service account files in the config file.

also, keep in mind that rclone config file is not designed to be shared.

Yes, I know rclone need to have write permission it's config file. g.drive is just an example. Do you have anybody idea what storage place could supply this kind of demand?

Thanks. I'm running already about 12-15 task related to rclone by Task Manager. I have apx. 50 rclone remote settings inside the rclone config file. So, I'll deploy this idea on my own way. I mean. I'll have more two scripts to run by Windows Task Scheduler (.bat). I'll copy the local config file to cloud every 5 minutes. I'll copy the config file from the cloud to local every 5 minutes shifted to start the second one from the previous one task later 4 minutes. I'll see the new file in the cloud to appear every 5 th minutes. I'll have apx. 3 minutes window to edit the config from cloud by google text editor and save. The scenario is: 0:00:00 copy from locat to cloud, 0:00:04 copy from cloud to local, + 5 minutes and repeat for eternity.

I'll open a ticket because the extra unwanted result of the set RCLONE_CONFIG=https://xxx comand which means it put an unwanted "c:\rclone" extension at beginning of the address.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.