Googleapi: got HTTP response code 429

I haven't touched Google Drive in a few years so I can't really add too much. If I had support, I'd contact them as it really makes little sense.

I thank you for your answers. The account I manage is not a free account. I will contact support and let you know. I can add that the problem also existed with the old version of rclone, I also tried adding a google api DNS in the hosts file but nothing.

I don't use GDrive any more, but back when I did, it wasn't a free account, it was Enterprise, and when I was having the 429 problems, adding those DNS lines in my hosts file solved the problem, that's why I mentioned it, just in case it's something similar.

might be worth to try but if it works it only confirms that it is google problem and forcing some other server works.

if you have a static IP maybe add your IP4 address in the command line

with

--bind IP

Seconding this issue, also using Oracle servers, getting 429 on my cronjobs, and manually as well.

Really, i was planning to use oracle bucket storage...google reply me with this:

Thank you for contacting Google Workspace Support. We appreciate you reaching out and sharing the issue you're encountering with uploading large files through Rclone in Google Drive.

We understand that you're unable to complete the uploads, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Unfortunately, issues related to third-party applications like Rclone fall outside the scope of support we offer for Google Workspace.

However, we want to do our best to help. We've found a relevant thread on the Rclone forum that discusses issues related to Google Drive uploads failing with HTTP 429 errors: https://forum.rclone.org/t/google-drive-uploads-failing-http-429/34147?page=2. This thread might offer some insight and potential solutions to the issue you're facing.

If you have further questions or concerns related to Google Workspace functionalities, please don't hesitate to reply to this email. We'll do our best to assist you further.
1 Like

Actually surprise that they went extra mile and tried to provide something more than usual bla bla.

But if you asked them about rclone then they are right - it is not their problem. The issue is (and this is what you should ask for ) what is causing this specific 429 API error.

1 Like

The problem with almost any vendor you ask for support, they tell you to pound sand when you mention any external API or program as they won't help.

Even if it's on their side or they made a change, generally, they are not going to tell what you what changed or why.

There's nothing rclone can do to fix it, because we don't know what changed either. You are at the mercy a vendor that won't give you a good reason why something isn't working in their public API.

2 Likes

I thought I had done something wrong with my rclone mount that it was giving me this error, but it appears it's Google, and adding those DNS lines didn't work for me either.
The server is running on Oracle Cloud, if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.
I wonder if there are issues like this with Microsoft, cause Google seems to not like rclone.

There have been no issues like this with OneDrive for about 6 months that I've used it, although it is slow compared to GDrive.

Another reply from google:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Google Workspace Support. We appreciate you reaching out and sharing the issue you're encountering with uploading large files through Rclone in Google Drive.

We understand that you're unable to complete the uploads, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Unfortunately, issues related to third-party applications like Rclone fall outside the scope of support we offer for Google Workspace.

However, we want to do our best to help. We've found a relevant thread on the Rclone forum that discusses issues related to Google Drive uploads failing with HTTP 429 errors: Google drive uploads failing, http 429. This thread might offer some insight and potential solutions to the issue you're facing.

"Hello,

Thank you for your reply and for finding that rclone forum thread.
I am part of that forum, and unfortunately none of the suggestions in that thread help.

Having a paid Google Workspace account, I have an expectation that I will receive paid-quality support. This could, as a minimum, take the form of support staff (or technicians) looking at the error logs on my account around the time that I reported the incident happened, and providing me with more specific details as to why these 429 errors occurred. As in, what particular throttling mechanism (if any) did I trigger, or perhaps that it is an unexpected behaviour (in which case your technicians might want to apply a fix).

Using Google's own published API (as rclone does) is no excuse to recuse yourselves from providing support - otherwise, why have an API in the first place? I am using your service in a manner specified as allowed by yourselves, so I expect to be given the support I am paying for.

Would you please have a proper look into this issue?

Kind regards,
Me"

3 Likes

did you added the IPs to the /etc/hosts file?

you need to run such a script on ANOTHER machine and update the hosts file with the outcome

#!/bin/bash
for i in $(dig www.googleapis.com +short); do echo $i www.googleapis.com >> googleapi_for_hosts.txt; done

for ipv6, without the --bin switch
you will need these as well

2c0f:fb50:4002:805::200a www.googleapis.com
2c0f:fb50:4002:806::200a www.googleapis.com
2c0f:fb50:4002:801::200a www.googleapis.com
2a00:1450:401a:805::200a www.googleapis.com

I have followed various thread about this subject and all together it looks like Google started throttling access to Google Workspace from hosted solutions locations - AWS, Oracle etc. It might be intentional or just some AI firewall hallucinating:) Without Google providing clear statement and throttling rules it can not be established.

Maybe some workaround exist like one with forcing different Google servers via /etc/hosts file but I am afraid it is more that slowly Google is pushing people to use Google Workspace as something they can use on their home/work computer to collaborate with their teams to share some google docs. Which is what people pay for at the end.

It is consumer product - not server grade solution. If automation, high bandwidth etc. is needed look for Google Cloud Storage.

Or somewhere else.

That may well be what it is.
After cracking down on 'unlimited', they are reducing throttling thresholds for anything other than web and official clients; makes sense.

I did some testing and I can confirm they are doing throttling on some of the hosting solution (Oracle being one of them).
For the moment, I put rclone behind a VPN and this solved my problem but I am not sure how long before Google does it again.

1 Like

rclone is extremely flexible in terms of options available to customise its behaviour to meet various throttling requirements. Problem is that we do not know what Google wants here... It is not outright ban on accessing Google Workspace API from Oracle hosted VMs so there must be some logic when throttling kicks in. If anybody discovers something what helps please share.

1 Like

Hello,

Greetings from Google Workspace Support.

Thanks for the reply. I have double checked with my internal team and I can confirm that the issues related to Drive API were out of scope of support for Google Workspace. However, you can check this link to contact the Google API developers: Kontaktiere uns  |  Google for Developers

Regards,

Here is their latest response, what should I ask the Google Api Developer team?

I don't think they are going to be very helpful

1 Like