Google Service Account - need to confirm API access steps

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Clarification re: creating a service account for use with Google Drive.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.53.3
os/arch: linux/arm
go version: go1.15.5

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

os/arch: linux/arm
DietPi v6.34.3
RPi 2 Model B (armv71)

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

Summary of problem:

In the Service Account Support section of the rclone documentation (link here), step 1 is pretty clear on how to create a service account for my domain. No issues at all.

Step 2 seems vague, and I feel that the instructions were meant for a previous version (before the Google product offering was updated). Here's what I did:

1. I'm logged into the admin console, and I click the "Security" icon.
  2. After clicking "Security," I don't see any mention of "advanced settings," but I do see "API controls."
  3. After clicking "API controls," I click on "Manage Third-Party App Access," then add the Unique ID for the service account, and set it as "Trusted".
  4. Once I've saved and exited "Manage Third-Party App Access," I return to the API controls page, and click on "Manage Domain Wide Delegation."
  5. In that area, I click "Add new," and add the Client ID for the service account.
  6. For the "OAuth scopes" section, I add https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive, then click Authorize.

Can someone confirm if what I listed above in steps 1-6 correct?

Thanks,

scholar

What you've written above looks sensible.

Did it work?

Hi @ncw!

Thanks for the reply. My steps ended up working to create the service account, and the service account can be used properly.

Since steps outlined in part 2 (Allowing API access to example.com Google Drive) currently seem vague (due to Google changing it's interface layout), would you like me to add the issue (and step-by-step language) to the rclone github?

Yes an update would be much appreciated.

You can make a checkout and a pull request if you know how, or alternatively click here and click the pencil icon to do an edit in your web browser.

Updated. See here

Thank you - that looks very nice :slight_smile:

Are you going to submit that as a pull request?

I... I've never done that.

And I have no clue how to do that.

If you go to your rclone fork there should be a banner which says submit a pull request.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.