Google Photos sync failed for multi-lined album names

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Seems some album names are multi-lined and rclone is not able to sync these.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

$ rclone --version
rclone v1.56.0
- os/version: ubuntu 20.04 (64 bit)
- os/kernel: 5.4.0-80-generic (x86_64)
- os/type: linux
- os/arch: amd64
- go/version: go1.16.5
- go/linking: static
- go/tags: none

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS 64-bit

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Photos

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone sync --transfers=10 --max-duration=59m --retries 1 --timeout 1m --fast-list --gphotos-include-archived --gphotos-start-year=1970 --log-level INFO --log-file=photos_2021-07-26_16-02_shared-album.txt gphotos:shared-album /REDACTED_FULL_PATH/shared-album


I noticed this at the top of the log file:

2021/07/26 16:02:01 INFO  : Local file system at /REDACTED_FULL_PATH/shared-album: Transfer session deadline: 2021/07/26 17:01:01
2021/07/26 16:02:46 ERROR : Upahara Darshini (Barjari Oota) & UD Residency

Jayanagar Bangalore with REDACTED and REDACTED : error reading source directory: directory not found
2021/07/26 16:02:46 ERROR : California Citrus State Historic Park

 29 Dec 2019: error reading source directory: directory not found
2021/07/26 16:02:50 NOTICE: [TRUNCATED]

These two are shared albums shared with me by someone else so I don't control the album name. I looked them up in the Google Photos web UI and they seem to look normal. However it seems the album name is multi lined based on the log (some \n I think?). I confirmed this by running:

$ rclone lsd gphotos:shared-album
          -1 2021-07-26 20:13:26        14 10TB Seagate EXOS Purchase
          -1 2021-07-26 20:13:26        67 California Citrus State Historic Park

 29 Dec 2019
          -1 2021-07-26 20:13:26        30 Cambramatta for the Moon Festival
          -1 2021-07-26 20:13:26        97 UYN Community Masks Ordering - July 2020
          -1 2021-07-26 20:13:26        19 Upahara Darshini (Barjari Oota) & UD Residency

Jayanagar Bangalore with Ushaji Savithri and Sheela 
          -1 2021-07-26 20:13:26       299 Van Gogh and the Seasons - NGV Exhibition

My attempt to create an album that has a multi-lined album name has failed (at least via the Google Photos web UI). These two albums are a few years old so it could be that a bug in the past allowed creating albums with multi-line names and that is no longer possible.

Next step

Seems rclone needs to handle the case where an album name is multi-lined?

This seems like a bug. I'd really need a way of creating an album with \n in if possible to fix.

Rclone can deal with names with \n in but I'm not sure the google photos API can...

Yeah I'm not sure how to create an album with \n either :confused:

Just to triple check what's going on, I'm going to run the command with -vv and --dump bodies similar to how you suggested to debug in
rclone lsd -vv --dump bodies gphotos:shared-album --log-file check-multi-lined-albun-name.log

This was useful in confirming that there are indeed \n in these two album names:

      "id": "_REDACTED_", 
      "title": "California Citrus State Historic Park\n\n 29 Dec 2019",                                
      "productUrl": "",
      "mediaItemsCount": "67",
      "coverPhotoBaseUrl": "",
      "coverPhotoMediaItemId": "_REDACTED_"
      "id": "_REDACTED_",
      "title": "Upahara Darshini (Barjari Oota) & UD Residency\n\nJayanagar Bangalore with name 1 and name2 ",                                                                                      
      "productUrl": "",
      "mediaItemsCount": "19",
      "coverPhotoBaseUrl": "",
      "coverPhotoMediaItemId": "_REDACTED_"

@ncw it might be a simple matter of removing the \n when rclone sees them because I assume when rclone tries to create a folder with this name it fails the local file system will complain. I think the original error of error reading source directory: directory not found is because rclone sync is looking for a local directory to compare against and can't find it due to the \n?

I don't know if you fancy having a go at this, but the place to do this would be here

Something like

album.Title = strings.Replace(album.Title, "/n", " ", -1)

Though it might actually be better to use rclone's encoding framework here which will translate all control characters and other awkward characters into safe unicode equivalents...

Thanks for the reference - I'll have a go this weekend. This error is bugging me so I have an extra incentive to get this fixed :slight_smile:

@ncw I have just sent googlephotos: Use encoder for album names by timevortex · Pull Request #5535 · rclone/rclone · GitHub attempting to use rclone's encoding framework. Seems to work in my testing so far.

Closing this as the fix for this has been merged into the master branch!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.