Google Drive vs. ACD for Plex

Yea but its same even with crypt you can use other tools to mount drive, and mount crypt locally as you do with encfs.

p.s. Performance wise it encfs was faster a month ago before ncw made couple of fixes, now it seems they are both on pair

Ajki - Whats the performance like these days? What you paying for on GDrive? Iā€™m still in process of uploading current content so not much of an issue to swap to crypt.

Well my main lib is on Amazon Drive ( 60ā‚¬/year) and I have a backup copy on my work bussiness drive ( free payed by company) and I have another backup on "unlimited gdrive account for 10$ that i bought from ebay )

My lib is to big so i cant test it with Plex gdrive combo as I get instantly locked but I did test direct file playback with mediaplayer and for me amazon works 20%+ faster, but thats more about peering then provider.

Ok cool. Iā€™m on the 3 month free trail still. I donā€™t have a gdriveā€¦ Can these ebay places remove your account? Is it your own domain?

They can remove it, completely unsecure

Hmm, Amazon is Ā£55 a year and Google is $10 a month under my own domain.

Well google is officially 50$ per month as in EULA they give unlimited space only when you reach 5 accounts BUT so far they are not tracking it.

Tracking the user count or storage?

Well both eg I think with 1 account you officially only get 1TB.

unlimited storage for ā‚¬8/user/month (accounts with fewer than 5 users get 1TB/user).

An eBay account isnā€™t a bad idea if its not your only source of data. Itā€™s great and cheap for a backup.

Sure it may be insecure but if you use it solely as a backup for your media and encrypt everything, worse that could happen is they steal your encrypted stuff and shut down your account.

So you could have Amazon as well as a few eBay drive as backup. If you lose it youā€™ve lost 10 bucks. Go buy another one and resync your data from amazon

Workflow would be basically like this:

1. Everything gets put on Amazon
  2. You run a cron job regularly to do an rclone sync to your various eBay drive accounts

Iā€™ve done some testing of GDrive vs ACD. GDrive performance by far beats ACD. It may have to do with ā€œedge cachingā€. But you have good speed in most places around the world because there are more servers than ACD. Ping to their servers are usually 10ms or so. Video streams a very stable and rarely buffers. If not for the constant bans itā€™ll make an amazing cloud storage for Plex.

Well let`s hope @ncw implements that caching solution sooner rather than later! :slight_smile:

if anyone is looking for a perm google drive unlimited account let me know, I am super admin of hoard.media, I own the domain and have 8 users now, room for more of my fellow hoarders :slight_smile:

You know, itā€™d be cool if we could find a way / workaround to get Plex to scan ACD for library updates but use Google Drive to actually Play the media. That way no bans (at least until thereā€™s some caching in rclone mount).

I keep my library in sync regularly via a cron job (rclone sync acd: google: kind of thing), so my libraries are the same on both ACD and Google. Finding a way to do this would certainly work short term.

So Iā€™m getting really fed up with ACDā€¦ I know I know, you get what you pay forā€¦

Weā€™re organizing a Westworld marathon this weekend and we started tonight. Before the start, I decided Iā€™d have a few backup copies (on Google Drive) and on my ipad to airplay locally if all else fails. I created a new Plex library with just Westworld on Google Drive.

Both Drive and ACD are mounted exactly the same way:
rclone mount acd:Media ~/mnt/media --allow-other --read-only --max-read-ahead 200M

Immediately starting the first episode on ACD, it was incredibly slow to start. Took about 30 seconds to queue up the first episode. Upon starting, it froze almost immediately. I loaded up PlexPy to check the status and it was buffering, the transcoder wasnā€™t even doing anything (sitting at speed: 0.0). I stopped playback adn restarted - this time it played, but consistently throughout the episode it would buffer. Either it had emptied the transcode queue or the transcode queue was fine but I still was getting skippy playback.

Midway through episode 2, still having many issues, I stopped and went to the Google Drive section. I hesitated doing this because I hadnā€™t really tested Drive before and didnā€™t want to do any experimentation while my guests were over.

Well, Drive performed flawlessly for the rest of the night and we watched the remainder of Episode 2, all of Ep 3,4,5 with no buffering whatsoever.

Some of my guests also have access to my Plex library and have expressed that itā€™s been incredibly flakey. Sometimes it works, sometimes itā€™s completely unplayable and they give up.

Iā€™m really hoping thereā€™s some caching coming soon to rclone because I think Iā€™ll have to ditch ACD as my primary library location soon, itā€™s just too unreliable.

Iā€™m now also able to reproduce this flakiness on two servers, one in North America (250Mbit bandwidth) and one in Europe (1Gig bandwidth) and both are flakey with ACD.

Iā€™m now starting to look at co-location services and just build a new server with 50/60TB of space and be done with it. Itā€™s just not a pleasant experience.

I know itā€™s not rcloneā€™s fault, Iā€™m just frustrated :ā€™(

Edit: here are some logs from the session (from ACD):

2017/01/20 18:27:53 tvshows/Westworld/Season 1/Westworld - S01E01 - The Original (WEBDL-1080p).mkv: ReadFileHandle.Read error: low level retry 1/10: unexpected EOF
2017/01/20 18:30:18 tvshows/Westworld/Season 1/Westworld - S01E01 - The Original (WEBDL-1080p).mkv: ReadFileHandle.Read error: low level retry 1/10: unexpected EOF
2017/01/20 20:00:48 tvshows/Westworld/Season 1/Westworld - S01E02 - Chestnut (WEBDL-1080p).mkv: ReadFileHandle.Read error: low level retry 1/10: unexpected EOF
2017/01/20 20:16:55 tvshows/Westworld/Season 1/Westworld - S01E02 - Chestnut (WEBDL-1080p).mkv: ReadFileHandle.Read error: low level retry 1/10: unexpected EOF
2017/01/20 20:18:23 tvshows/Westworld/Season 1/Westworld - S01E02 - Chestnut (WEBDL-1080p).mkv: ReadFileHandle.Read error: low level retry 1/10: unexpected EOF
2017/01/20 20:25:14 tvshows/Westworld/Season 1/Westworld - S01E02 - Chestnut (WEBDL-1080p).mkv: ReadFileHandle.Read error: low level retry 1/10: unexpected EOF

:frowning: I have to say having had quite a bit of experience with lots of cloud storage that ACD is the least reliable of them all. It is the most likely to need retries on uploads or downloads. That is what you are seeing in your log - the connection being closed - I suspect by amazon.

I hope that it retries properly at that point, but it almost certainly would have caused buffering.

Not to derail this thread but the worst cloud provider hands down was without doubt Bitcasa.

1 Like

It must be the peering, google drive have great peering all over the world and thats not the case with acd.
So if your ISP have good connection to ACD you wont get those disconnects.

I donā€™t think itā€™s peering. Case in point, Iā€™m able to max out a 250Mbit connection in a Canadian DC to Amazon as well as nearly max out a 1Gbps connection in Germany to Amazon. Yet I experience the exact same stability issues on both. My family complains Plex is unreliable. Sometimes itā€™s great and I have 7-10 streams going other times I canā€™t even get one going reliably.

I think itā€™s related more to the general stability of the product (API, etc).

Iā€™m having exact same problem. It worked flawlessly on ACD Trial, but once I paid, the performance nose dives. I get buffering but start times are really bad, 30 seconds would be a huge improvement, Iā€™m currently at 1-3 minutes.