Google Drive quota limits

So it has been known that Google Drives have quota limits that are mostly undocumented. Currently I'm trying to encrypt my several hundred TBs of unencrypted files into a crypt backend, and I think this is a good chance for me to try to document the quota limits because I've read a lot of posts here about it but the information about it is very fragmented.

I hope I can gather the all the information in one post so that it'll be easier to identify errors in the future. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information, but I try to be as accurate as possible. If you know information that is missing here, let me know so I can update this post. If you can confirm the information below or if anything is wrong, let me know too.

1. 10 transactions per second rate limit

• Error code. (error googleapi: Error 403: User Rate Limit Exceeded. Rate of requests for user exceed configured project quota. You may consider re-evaluating expected per-user traffic to the API and adjust project quota limits accordingly. You may monitor aggregate quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/drive.googleapis.com/quotas?project=###########, userRateLimitExceeded)
    • Solution: --tpslimit 10
  2. 750GB upload per day

• Per account
    • After 750GB mark, no files can be uploaded anymore. However, the current uploading file will finish, so it's not a hard limit. For example, if you have uploaded 749GB and the next file is larger than 10GB, you'll upload 759GB in total. Max single file size is 5TB.
    • Error code: Error 403: Rate Limit Exceeded, rateLimitExceeded
    • Reset time: Unknown (some say it's at a certain time of the day, eg 2AM GMT, might vary from accounts to accounts)
    • Solution: --drive-stop-on-upload-limit or use AutoRclone (this or this) to automatically switch service accounts
  3. 10TB download per day

• Per drive, 10TB for all accounts combined, changing (service) accounts doesn't work
    • Error code: ERROR : file/path: Failed to copy: failed to open source object: open file failed: googleapi: Error 403: The download quota for this file has been exceeded., downloadQuotaExceeded
    • Reset time: Unknown
    • Solution: I don't know
  4. An individual file can only be downloaded N times per day

• Number of N is unknown
    • Error code: ERROR : file/path: Failed to copy: failed to open source object: open file failed: googleapi: Error 403: The download quota for this file has been exceeded., downloadQuotaExceeded
    • Reset time: Unknown
    • Solution: use bigger --drive-chunk-size and/or --vfs-chunk-size
2 Likes

This is great work and will be very useful as a reference.

In regards to point 4, does an individual file have its own size-based download limiter? E.g. if a file has a 1TB limit, then if it's a 1GB file, it can be downloaded 1000 times but if it's a 512GB file it can only be downloaded twice

I'm not sure about that. From what I found from other posts is only that a file can only be downloaded for so many times, not sure if it's based on total downloaded size for that file like you mentioned or not.

Honestly because the error code is the same as the 10TB limit, it's hard to find out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.