Google Drive native files and bisync setup

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Hello!

I'm trying to setup bi-directional sync between my NAS and drive.
The initial --resync runs successfully, the issue comes when I try to run a standard sync, without the --resync parameter.

I'm most likely having issues understanding how the --drive-import/export-formats parameters works. I re-read the documentation on them a few times, but it just doesn't seem to click. If I'm running the same command without the --resync parameter, the bisync is unsuccessful, either removing google drive specific formats or incorrectly saying files are missing.

I probably understand what's happening, rclone comparing a file name as name.doc and name.doc.docx, but not sure how to fix this. I'm slowly re-evaluating the bisync approach and maybe changing it to a download only (Drive -> NAS) backup with only one folder setup a bisync. This bisync folder can't contain any Google drive supported formats. Maybe I'm missing something, but I couldn't figure it out for a few days and thus I'm here :slight_smile: I wouldn't mind having native Google drive files in pdf only on my NAS, but the same issue persists, getting an error after running the bisync without --resync.

Any help is greatly appreciated :pray:

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.58.0
- os/version: debian 11.3 (64 bit)
- os/kernel: 4.4.180+ (x86_64)
- os/type: linux
- os/arch: amd64
- go/version: go1.17.8
- go/linking: static
- go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run

Without --drive-allow-import-name-change

rclone -v bisync    /mnt/Backup/cloud/drive/Documents/   Drive:/Documents/  --drive-import-formats odt,docx,pdf,doc  --resync

rclone -v bisync    /mnt/Backup/cloud/drive/Documents/   Drive:/Documents/  --drive-import-formats odt,docx,pdf,doc 

With --drive-allow-import-name-change

rclone -v bisync    /mnt/Backup/cloud/drive/Documents/   Drive:/Documents/  --drive-import-formats odt,docx,pdf,doc --drive-allow-import-name-change --resync

rclone -v bisync    /mnt/Backup/cloud/drive/Documents/   Drive:/Documents/  --drive-import-formats odt,docx,pdf,doc --drive-allow-import-name-change

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Without --drive-allow-import-name-change

With --drive-allow-import-name-change

I think you are likely hitting this issue: bisync: fix handling of Google Docs · Issue #5696 · rclone/rclone · GitHub

Hi Nick!

Thanks for the link. Sounds about right. Good to know it's not only me experiencing the issue. Should I comment on teh issue and include the link to this thread?

Would you know what parameters to use to download Gdrive formats without modification (no file extension change) for backup purposes only?

Thanks!

Sounds like a good idea.

You can't download "native" google docs, you can only export them into different formats. So I'd decide on the format which is most useful to you and use that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.