Each time I renew the rclone association with Google Drive it seems to have a short expiration. I tried switching to my own client_id and the issue still remains. I seem to recall it would give me around 24 hours expiration, but just now when I tried to renew it to refresh my memory before I posted here, it gave me about 3 extra hours. Effectively making rclone with google drive unusable.
See the attached two expirations from original vs the second one which is when I renewed it just now. The expirations are from the .rclone.conf file.
Seems to be my mis-understanding. It is working just fine. I think it was some combination of a bug in a script I had and that I was reading into the meaning of the expiration too much without an understanding of what it meant.