Google drive bisync nearly always requires resync

I'm running rclone 1.63.1 on Windows 10.0.19045.2846 to bisync with Google Drive. One-way sync works fine, but bisync gives me an error "Bisync aborted. Must run --resync to recover" nearly every time I execute it, even after the previous sync completed successfully. What can I do to troubleshoot? Is this a common problem?

please answer all the questions in the help and support template, so we can help you.

note: bisync is experimental and lost its maintainer.

There was a lot of work done recently to improve/fix bisync - try the latest beta as well.

1 Like

I was having similar issues as well, and in my case (IIRC) telling bisync to not even try to sync Google Docs helped (since they were not kept in sync correctly anyway):

rclone bisync --drive-skip-gdocs ...

It might be worth a try.

Thanks for the tips. I've updated to beta and added skip-gdocs. So far so good -- I will test over the next few days and report back if this appears to be a complete fix.

1 Like

Love to hear that! :slight_smile: If you run into any issues with the beta, I'm happy to help troubleshoot. (A log from you would be very helpful.)

In particular, you may want to check out the new --resilient mode, which allows bisync to retry certain recoverable errors on the next run, instead of requiring an unnecessary --resync.

I dug into this issue recently, and I believe I've identified the cause (Google Docs are intentionally skipped during normal bisync runs, but not during --resync.) I have a working local branch with full support for Google Docs, which would resolve this (track progress here.) Until then, I agree that including --drive-skip-gdocs is wise. (Note that this issue only affects actual Google Docs, not other types of files in Google Drive.)

Thanks for your support! I've been running it every hour for a couple of days now without error. Will continue to test.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.