Getting around pathname length limitations (eg: Onedrive)

Onedrive for Business limits maximum path (not file) length to 400 chars. When used with the crypt backend, the max length is further reduced to the point where I can't upload a large number of files.

I'm wondering if others have run into this and thought about solutions. One approach would to write a "shortening" backend that would convert back and forth between pathnames and files shortened to say, 8 chars. Like URL shorteners, a database could be maintained, say, in a clear text file stored in the remote's root. The remote would consist solely of a single flat directory with all pathnames shortened to files and stored on the root.

Has this been thought about or discussed? I'd be glad to make a more formal proposal and a contribution a few months down the line if there's interest.

There have been quite a few discussions of this kind of thing in the issues - the discussions are a bit disorganized so it will need a bit of searching!

This could potentially be part of the crypt backend itself as a new filename encryption mode. Managing files with metadata in separate from the files themselves gets quite tricky quite quickly though.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.