Getting a 500 error when trying to create a Google Drive config from the GUI running in a Docker container and it doesn't open auth window

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I am running rclone gui from a Docker container. I can browse configs fine. I am trying to add one for Google Drive and I am getting a 500 error. It creates the config but never finishes the creation process. It should open a new window so I can auth the Google Drive but it never opens that window.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

/data # rclone version
rclone v1.58.0
- os/version: alpine 3.15.1 (64 bit)
- os/kernel: 5.10.28-Unraid (x86_64)
- os/type: linux
- os/arch: amd64
- go/version: go1.18
- go/linking: static
- go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

n/a - using GUI

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

it is empty

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Error creating config. Error: Request failed with status code 500

Screenshots

Creating a new config:

Before clicking Next

Error after clicking Next

Console error after clicking Next

Config was created but never finished -- it didn't open a new window to auth:

@ncw Hi. I am sorry to tag you like this but do you have any idea what could be wrong? I opened an issue in GitHub but no traction their either.

Through the CLI I know the code opens a browser to finish the config auth. It works the same if you add config through the GUI. But if you have rclone running in a Docker container then it won't open the 2nd step auth window.

I tried to find the relevant part of the code but no luck....

I don't use dockers but if you want to create a config elsewhere or run headless, that's probably an easier option.

It's nothing rclone related per se as the docker part obfuscates a lot of things and oAauth flows require localhost access properly or it will not work well.

It's not that it doesn't open a 2nd auth window as rclone wants to open a browser window and that is something you can't do as you are contained in a docker. You'd have to install a browser in your container an expose that somehow which is well beyond me.

It doesn't get much traction here as it's not really a rclone question but a docker question.

It is a Docker thing but it is specific to how rclone implemented auth. I've been looking at the code and I see what is wrong. I just can't find the relevant parts in in the rclone source for how to fix it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.