Get instant transfer speed

Hi there!
I'm currently using RClone to synchronize a whole lot of data (several terabytes), and one thing that bothers me is that the displayed speed seems to be calculated by taking into account the speed since the beginning of the transfer, where I'd like to get the instant speed.

For instance, let's say RClone transfers a file at a speed of 100 Mbps, then suddenly drops to 10 Mbps for a reason or another (internet bandwidth limitation or something), the speed displayed with the --progress flag will (very) slowly decrease from 100 Mbps to 10 Mbps but it will take dozens of minutes. During this time, I cannot know how fast RClone really is.

I know there are tools to monitor the bandwidth usage of other programs, but I don't want to have to use an external program in addition to RClone, I'd just like it to show me the instant transfer speed. Unfortunately I can't find a flag for that in the docs.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

EDIT: I'm using RClone v1.55.1 on Windows 10 20H1. I'm syncing a local drive to a MEGA account.

You can use -P to get progress:

https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_copy/

As I said in my initial post, I'm already using this flag. But it does not give the instant transfer speed.

That's what it does as it gives you the output of the transfers in progress.

You can add -v if you want per file.

Since you ignored the template and didn't share any of the required information, I'm guessing at what you are expecting.

Since you ignored the template and didn't share any of the required information, I'm guessing at what you are expecting.

I've edited my first post, but I don't see how this changes anything to the problem?

You can add -v if you want per file.

-P already gives it

That's what it does as it gives you the output of the transfers in progress.

Again, -P does not give the instant transfer speed. It gives a transfer speed calculated since the beginning of the transfer, while I'd like to get the instant speed.

The red arrow is the current speed of the file in question. The green arrow is the average of everything:

If you use -P, you can see the current (instant) running rate per file that's being transferred.

If your screen has something different, please share what you are running and a log file.

As you can see, if I add the transfer speed of each file, 3.2 + 3.58 + 9.56 + 10.05 = 26.39 Mbytes/s, while the instant transfer speed at top is shown as being 14.493 Mbytes/s.

This is because the transfer speed decreased a lot about one hour ago and the total transfer speed is still adjusting after all this time.

As I shared, that's the overall progress of everything and averaged out amongst all your transfers since you started.

If you want the current, you need to look at the red arrow info rather than the green as the statistics in green are for the entire operation as that's how it works.

So we're back at the information is in the -P output as I've shared. There's no way to make the top line current as that's not how the statistics work.

Ok so that means there's no way to display the instant speed is that right?

Yes, it's on the red line area as that's the current transfer rates.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for your help :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.