General questions re:ls,lsl, and sync from novice

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I have several questions that are still not clear to me after reading the documentation over many times:

1. I want to list out parent and subdirectories and get the size of each. I have tried the various ls commands, but can't come up with one that doesn't recurse into the directories. I'm not sure if you'll be able to see this screenshot or not, but here is my Directory Structure.
    Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 8.37.47 AM
    It seems that with lsd it prints out a -1 as size is unknown. Is there any way to do what I want?

I also tried rclone size, but it seems I have to run the command for each subdirectory

1. I would like to rclone sync between source and destination drives without having to rclone sync each individual subdirectory.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.56.2

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Dropbox

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone lsd Source/Pictures

rclone sync Source/Pictures Destination/Pictures

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

Regarding 1: Have you tried tree and ncdu? It still recurses, but will show you the total size of directories - in a "human-readable" way:

rclone tree --size --human-readable Source/Pictures
rclone ncdu Source/Pictures

Regarding 2: Sync parent directory, and then use filtering as necessary to filter subdirectories.

Hello albertony,
The rclone ncdu seems to give me what I want. The rclone tree command did give an error, because it didn't like the --human-readable flag. Is the workflow such that you run each command in sequence and ignore the error of rclone tree?

Thank you for the suggestion on my rclone sync question. I will explore this, but I think I know now what I need to do.

Many thanks and Happy New Year
David

Assumed latest version. In your version it is --human.

Thank you. I guess I should've followed directions and upgraded.

Great. Filtering is powerfull, but not always easy to get right on first attempt. Make sure to test out your filter with a harmless function like rclone ls first, then copy/sync with --dry-run, before running a destructive operation like sync (without --dry-run). There is also a simple playground at https://filterdemo.rclone.org/. If you still have questions, you will get answers in this forum. :wink:

Same to you! :firecracker:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.