Fusermount error on running rclone mount

Im trying to mount but I keep getting an error, Ive looked around but cant find a solution

Im running

rclone mount a9:downloads/done /home/a9/www/mount

and the error is

2019/01/24 02:16:21 mount helper error: fusermount: fuse device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first
2019/01/24 02:16:21 Fatal error: failed to mount FUSE fs: fusermount: exit status 1

I run modprobe fuse and it gives this error

modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:514 lookup_builtin_file() could not open builtin file '/lib/modules/2.6.32-042stab134.8/modules.builtin.bin'
modprobe: FATAL: Module fuse not found in directory /lib/modules/2.6.32-042stab134.8

Im on Ubuntu Server 16.04.1 LTS and I installed rclone with the install.sh script

You might need to apt install fuse?

thanks for the reply. I had already ran it prior to making this post and it was already installed

fuse is already the newest version (2.9.4-1ubuntu3.1)

And running which fusermount says it in /bin/fusermount

Also a note is that the error in the first post happens on both a user account and root user.

Do you have libfuse installed as well? The error is that it’s missing from your OS:

libfuse2/stable,now 2.9.7-1+deb9u2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
  Filesystem in Userspace (library)

I believe it is, I ran apt install libfuse2 and got this
libfuse2 is already the newest version (2.9.4-1ubuntu3.1)

Is fuse loaded?

felix@gemini:~$ ls -al /dev/fuse
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 10, 229 Jan 21 13:28 /dev/fuse
felix@gemini:~$ lsmod | grep fuse
fuse                   98304  5

To load:

root@gemini:~ modprobe fuse
root@gemini:~

The loading seems to be the issue, I had initially tried to but I get the same error on root and normal user.

root@syn:~# ls -al /dev/fuse
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 10, 229 Jan 24 16:49 /dev/fuse
root@syn:~# lsmod | grep fuse
root@syn:~# modprobe fuse
modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:514 lookup_builtin_file() could not open builtin file '/lib/modules/2.6.32-042stab134.8/modules.builtin.bin'
modprobe: FATAL: Module fuse not found in directory /lib/modules/2.6.32-042stab134.8

Could the issue be due to the vps being run under OpenVZ? When I first got it I ran in to a small error with a program and upon looking it up it had to do with the underlying kernel not supporting whatever trying to install. The kernel is 2.6.32-042stab134.8

It seems like the module it’s looking for is missing.

You could always try to remove it and re-add it back in.

So like and apt remove fuse* libfuse*

and re-add them back in and see if the module is there.

If the modprobe command won’t load it, rclone won’t function without fuse.

I’m not familiar with OpenVZ unfortunately.

Yes. Even after you install fuse and libfuse you need to open a ticket and ask your server provider to enable fuse module on your vps. It’s 1 minute work for them and most companies allows fuse module.

2 Likes