FTP remote does not accept blank password?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I am trying to download from a Mega share folder link by using MegaCMD to host it as local FTP and using rclone to download from the FTP. I have to do this because rclone's Mega implementation, and/or the interfacing library, don't support downloading from share folder links (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong).

The reason I'm doing this instead of using MegaCMD or MegaSync's built-in solutions is because the folder is massive (even loading the folder in-browser results in insane lag) and I've already downloaded it previously - I'm only trying to download new additions. The reason I'm hosting FTP in MegaCMD instead of WebDAV is bugs with the implementation - certain files are served as 0 bytes even in-browser.

Unfortunately I can't even test if I can rclone with MegaCMD-hosted FTP's, because rclone refuses to even attempt a connection to an FTP remote without a set password, citing "input too short when revealing password - is it obscured?".

Thank you to everyone for your attention. Hope I didn't mess anything up.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.61.1
- os/version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 22H2 (64 bit)
- os/kernel: 10.0.19045.2604 (x86_64)
- os/type: windows
- os/arch: amd64
- go/version: go1.19.4
- go/linking: static
- go/tags: cmount

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

FTP

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone -vv mount remote-ftp: U: --log-file=T:\logfile.log

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[remote-ftp]
type = ftp
host = 127.0.0.1
port = 4990

A log from the command with the -vv flag

2023/03/12 18:57:31 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.61.1" starting with parameters ["C:\\Users\\\[removed\]\\scoop\\apps\\rclone\\current\\rclone.exe" "-vv" "mount" "remote-ftp:" "U:" "--log-file=T:\\logfile.log"]
2023/03/12 18:57:31 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "remote-ftp:"
2023/03/12 18:57:31 DEBUG : Using config file from "C:\\Users\\\[removed\]\\scoop\\apps\\rclone\\current\\rclone.conf"
2023/03/12 18:57:31 Failed to create file system for "remote-ftp:": NewFS decrypt password: input too short when revealing password - is it obscured?

Try the anonymous ftp user - does that work?

That did the trick - didn't know I could just put any password. Didn't have to enter any user or pass when connecting to MegaCMD's FTP using FireZilla for instance, but it could very well still be using an anonymous account behind the scenes. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.