Fresh Rclone mount ends up with "Checking for changes on remote"

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Trying a fresh mount and stuck up with an endless "Checking for changes on remote".

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.52.2

• os/arch: linux/amd64
  • go version: go1.14.4

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Ubuntu 20.4 LTS x86_64

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

~$ rclone -vv  mount remote: $HOME/yay

A log from the command with the -vv flag

rclone mount remote: $HOME/yay
DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.52.2" starting with parameters ["rclone" "-vv" "mount" "remote:" "/home/ubuntu/yay"]
DEBUG : Using config file from "/home/ubuntu/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
DEBUG : Google drive root '': Mounting on "/home/ubuntu/yay"
DEBUG : Adding path "vfs/forget" to remote control registry
DEBUG : Adding path "vfs/refresh" to remote control registry
DEBUG : Adding path "vfs/poll-interval" to remote control registry
DEBUG : : Root:
DEBUG : : >Root: node=/, err=<nil>
DEBUG : Google drive root '': Checking for changes on remote
^CDEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.52.2" finishing with parameters ["rclone" "-vv" "mount" "remote:" "/home/ubuntu/yay"]

hello and welcome to the forum,

can you post the debug log with the timestamps?

perhaps this is what is happening

https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_mount/#directory-cache

--dir-cache-time duration                Time to cache directory entries for. (default 5m0s)

This is rclone running the change notify protocol to see if any changes have happened on the remote end. It is quite light weight. Turn it off with --poll-interval 0.

1 Like

Here it is, from a recent attempt. It's a one minute interval, but the docs mention default is 5min.

2020/07/10 16:00:52 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.52.2" starting with parameters ["rclone" "-vv" "mount" "remote:" "/home/ubuntu/yay"]
2020/07/10 16:00:52 DEBUG : Using config file from "/home/ubuntu/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
2020/07/10 16:00:52 DEBUG : Google drive root '': Mounting on "/home/ubuntu/yay"
2020/07/10 16:00:52 DEBUG : Adding path "vfs/forget" to remote control registry
2020/07/10 16:00:52 DEBUG : Adding path "vfs/refresh" to remote control registry
2020/07/10 16:00:52 DEBUG : Adding path "vfs/poll-interval" to remote control registry
2020/07/10 16:00:52 DEBUG : : Root:
2020/07/10 16:00:52 DEBUG : : >Root: node=/, err=<nil>
2020/07/10 16:01:52 DEBUG : Google drive root '': Checking for changes on remote
2020/07/10 16:02:52 DEBUG : Google drive root '': Checking for changes on remote
2020/07/10 16:03:52 DEBUG : Google drive root '': Checking for changes on remote
2020/07/10 16:04:52 DEBUG : Google drive root '': Checking for changes on remote

Also, i did kill -SIGHUP $(pidof rclone) and i assume this went fine, though without any return message.

ubuntu@ip-:~$ kill -SIGHUP $(pidof rclone)
ubuntu@ip-:~$ 

Turning it off stops the return message but doesn't help with mount. Sorry if i wasn't clear in OP. My issue isn't with this endless return message, but with actual mounting.

ubuntu@ip-:~$ rclone lsd $HOME/
          -1 2020-07-03 14:36:47        -1 .cache
          -1 2020-07-03 18:39:29        -1 .config
          -1 2020-07-03 14:35:36        -1 .ssh
          -1 2020-07-10 13:16:02        -1 mnt
          -1 2020-07-03 18:24:48        -1 yay
ubuntu@ip-:~$ rclone lsd $HOME/yay
ubuntu@ip-:~$

Update: Seems i just have to give it some really long time, for my server to read the mount. :upside_down_face:
I checked after 2 hours but i'm sure it might've been completed far less than that.

Now the issue is Jellyfin not detecting the mount, though rclone and FTP read the mount very well.
I'd appreciate any ideas.

Thank you both for taking your time to help me out, and special thank you to Nick, for creating rclone.

try adding this flag to your mount command
--allow-other

https://rclone.org/donate/
i assure you that i do not profit financially.

1 Like

:man_facepalming:t4:
This was part of my mount command as i faced the same issue couple days ago. I must've scraped it during further trial & error.
Had a fusermount issue to use the --allow-other flag, but managed to rectify it and now everything works perfectly.

Of course, you don't. Good guys like you choosing to go the open-source way don't usually get compensated enough financially. :rofl:
It's a shame, though. :worried:

It's on my list for about a week, already. I'll definitely share my peanut pocket as a token of thanks, as soon as I can. :+1:t4:

Thank you for you help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.