Filesystem instability when using full vfs cache

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I'm using onedrive as a backend for rclone on arch linux. One of the features I miss from windows is having the ability to use the onedrive client by effectively syncing your files from the cloud to your local file system (the keep on local device option). Rclone's bisync feature seemed like a good way to simulate this, but the problem there is that it syncs the entire tree on a timer, instead of watching for changes and pushing them up / pulling them down as needed.

The solution I landed on is mounting to vfs, which works quite well, however certain applications such as thunar and retroarch will crash when accessing the file system.

I'm unsure if this is a performance issue with my rclone setup, or are these applications no properly equipped to handle vfs, but I'm hoping to find a solution.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.61.1

• os/version: arch "rolling" (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 6.1.12-zen1-1-zen (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.19.4
  • go/linking: dynamic
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

OneDrive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount onedrive:[dir] /path/to/mountpoint --daemon --cache-dir /path/to/cache --vfs-cache-mode full --vfs-cache-max-age 10000h --dir-cache-time 10000h --vfs-fast-fingerprint --transfers 8 --use-mmap --poll-interval=15s --vfs-read-chunk-size 0 -vv

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[onedrive]
type = onedrive
token = {[secret]}
drive_id = [secret]
drive_type = personal

A log from the command with the -vv flag

2023/02/21 10:23:58 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "onedrive:[dir]"
2023/02/21 10:23:58 DEBUG : Using config file from "/path/to/config"
2023/02/21 10:24:00 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.61.1" finishing with parameters ["/usr/bin/rclone" "mount" "onedrive:[dir]" "/path/to/mountpoint" "--daemon" "--cache-dir" "/path/to/cache" "--vfs-cache-mode" "full" "--dir-cache-time" "10000h" "--vfs-cache-max-age" "100000h" "--vfs-fast-fingerprint" "--transfers" "8" "--use-mmap" "--poll-interval=15s" "--vfs-read-chunk-size" "0" "-vv"]

hello and welcome to the forum,

most any app should work.
need to look for issues in the rclone debug output

what does crash mean, exactly what happens.

for testing, i would test a simpler command and display debug output.
rclone mount onedrive:[dir] /path/to/mountpoint --vfs-cache-mode full --cache-dir /path/to/cache -vv

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.