File Explorer in windows not automatically updating

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

When mounting an FTP server as a drive in Windows with rclone/WinFSP, if I make a change to an existing file, say, rename it or similar.. and say I have this same ftp mounted on another Windows machine here, and have Windows File explorer open/focused to the directory where I renamed the file, the change is not automatically update to reflect this. (I'm on Windows 10 pro) Rather, I have to right-click >> Refresh in File Explorer. Not sure if this is a fault of Windows or it is dependent on a rclone setting or simply not possible with SFTP. ?

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.66.0-beta.7666.783599114

• os/version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 22H2 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 10.0.19045.3930 (x86_64)
  • os/type: windows
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.22rc1
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: cmount

Are you on the latest version of rclone? You can validate by checking the version listed here: Rclone downloads
-->
Yes, beta v 1.66.0

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

WhatBox.ca

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

@rclone.exe" mount RemoteName:/remotepath K:\ --vfs-cache-mode full --dir-cache-time 0m1s --vfs-cache-max-age 0m4s --vfs-cache-poll-interval 0m1s

Note, I originally ran it without the vfs-caching parameters; but then added them to see if that would fix the issue I was having with File Explorer not updating.

Please run 'rclone config redacted' and share the full output. If you get command not found, please make sure to update rclone.

[Whatbox.ca-1]
type = ftp
host = XXX
user = XXX
pass = XXX
explicit_tls = true

A log from the command that you were trying to run with the -vv flag

https://pastebin.com/fjQkVsN9

Thank you for your time/help!

It takes up to 5 min to update FTP mount. Give it some time and see.

FTP is not polling remote so your --vfs-cache-poll-interval 0m1s flag is a noop.

that flags is for the vfs file cache and imho, not a noop.

i believe, the OP issue is about the vfs dir cache, which is controlled by --dir-cache-time

might be a limitation of winfsp using FUSE instead of native api.
or maybe FUSE supports notify, but winfsp does not.
FspFileSystemNotify - Notify Windows that the file system has file changes.

as on local filesystem, windows explorer, double commander, etc, can ask the OS to watch the current folder for changes in real-time.

or might just be normal rclone behavior, that rclone will not re-scan the current folder unless a manual refresh.
as that could be expensive in terms of api calls, etc...

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.