File explorer for Windows that doesn't index?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Navigating files in Windows on an rclone mount takes forever due to indexing. I just want to navigate my media files (music, videos) and start streaming to my video player (mpv or VLC) as painlessly as possible. Is there any file explorer or way to open a file that would allow me to bypass all of this indexing?

Once the file starts streaming, everything goes smoothly and seeking is fast. The problem is getting the file open quickly.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.51.0

• os/arch: windows/amd64
  • go version: go1.13.7

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Cloud Storage: Mega and OneDrive. Both have the same issue.

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

'./rclone.exe mount MegaDrive: s: --vfs-cache-mode writes

One option may be to not use a mount at all. Use a browser with a webdav or http serve instead.

if you must you a mount, a windows explorer alternative could help.
i use double commander, free and open-source.

1 Like

If you don't like that idea, you can still use a brower to navigate the mount using a file URL. Like this:

/mount/directory

in the browser URL itself. The browser can be a 'explorer'.

Http serve works great! Loading directories is very snappy and I can play most of my media right in the browser.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay in answer - but the forum had a little hickip earlier...

Doublecommander or Freecommander XE are good ones I use.
Explorer++ is also good, but I'm not sure I would recommend it anymore as it has stopped development a long time ago now.

The problem here is probably not indexing, but rather that windows explorer by default shows file-attributes that are not part of the listing info that rclone can get from the server (only name/path, size, modtime and hash).

If windows tries to display more data then this (for example preview images or "artist" on an mp3 or "date taken" on a photo ect. ect. then instead of just using the listing info rclone has to access each and every one of those files to get the extra info. This is very slow and you really want to avoid that.

The alternate file-explorers generally only display the basics by default and thus will avoid the problem.

However, if you'd really prefer to use normal Windows Explorer you can just go into the "properties" for the mount, choose the "customize" tab. Select optimize for "documents" and also tick the "apply to subfolders" box. Now all the folders will be set to only show basic attributes that are "compatible" with the listing data, and this should make thing far far more snappy.

Aside from this - there is a way to pre-cache the whole listing of the mount in RAM for really snappy access similar to a fast local disk. This also allows fast searches of local data as it will respond more like an SSD and make searching a large archive usable instead of taking like an hour... (you'd still want to avoid searching on other than basic attributes of course).

The latter is a more advanced setup that needs a precaching script. I can provide this and further instructions upon request if need be - but it may be overkill for your needs.

2 Likes

Hello, sir, I already seen in another topic ( mountscript) your mount script settings... Actually i'm using it, but i can't execute the .bat file as SYSTEM only as local user... Do you know a way to run the .bat file as system in windows startup? already tried to set up it in task schedule but i think its not working because rclone Browser GUI doesn't appear when the .bat is executed, in the other hand, i can see the driver letter and it has been mounted but i don't think it's working properly as "precaching"

hello and welcome to the forum,

you can run the batch file as system user a few ways.

1. use task scheduler
  2. use nssm
  3. use systeinternals psexec

about indexing, what do you mean?
windows, itself, does indexing using a system service