Failed to move: googleapi: Error 403: User rate limit exceeded., userRateLimitExceeded

Hello Team,

I am unable to copy/move files from my Raspberry to Google Drive using rclone copy or move command. However I could list the contents of that drive folder as well as able to create directory using command rclone mkdir.
The error received while copying the file is shown below:

2024/01/18 14:34:22 ERROR : 18-Jan-2024.zip: Failed to copy: googleapi: Error 403: User rate limit exceeded., userRateLimitExceeded 2024/01/18 14:34:22 ERROR : Attempt 1/3 failed with 1 errors and: googleapi: Error 403: User rate limit exceeded., userRateLimitExceeded 2024/01/18 14:53:51 ERROR : 18-Jan-2024.zip: Failed to copy: googleapi: Error 403: User rate limit exceeded., userRateLimitExceeded 2024/01/18 14:53:51 ERROR : Attempt 2/3 failed with 1 errors and: googleapi: Error 403: User rate limit exceeded., userRateLimitExceeded 2024/01/18 15:13:15 ERROR : 18-Jan-2024.zip: Failed to copy: googleapi: Error 403: User rate limit exceeded., userRateLimitExceeded 2024/01/18 15:13:15 ERROR : Attempt 3/3 failed with 1 errors and: googleapi: Error 403: User rate limit exceeded., userRateLimitExceeded 2024/01/18 15:13:15 Failed to copy: googleapi: Error 403: User rate limit exceeded., userRateLimitExceeded

I am also able to ping:

ping www.googleapis.com
ping  74.125.24.95

I have updated rclone to the latest version

rclone v1.65.1
- os/version: raspbian 10.10
- os/kernel: 5.10.63-v7l+ (armv7l)
- os/type: linux
- os/arch: arm (ARMv7 compatible)
- go/version: go1.21.5
- go/linking: static
- go/tags: none

How can we fix this issue?

You have used your gdrive API limits for today. Wait 24h and try again.

Also make sure that you are using your own client_id/secret:

However in the Google Console I could see that only 0.0.6% of teh quota being used

Waiting for 24 Hours will help in this case as well ?

I am not sure which limit you exceeded but error you received is clear - you exceeded something:)
Maybe other Google users can shed more light on this.

We get these question a lot.

You have not exceeded any "API" limit as you can see that fine in the console.

Google has an Upload and Download quota 750GB / 10TB per user (upload is defined but you can't see it and download is suspected to be that and you also cannott see it).

Storage and upload limits for Google Workspace - Google Workspace Admin Help.

Once you exceed a quota, you wait around 24 hours and it resets. There is nothing you can see and ask Google on this and they won't tell you.

2 Likes

True, today I could upload files to Gdrive folder however at time randomly I am still receiving the sam error. Why is that so ? after receiving error when I try again it then work on the same day. Is it strange ?

The same rclone error does not mean the same gdrive error I think. So today you are free again to upload 750GB but you might be hitting some rate limits from time to time.

Yes but is that so ?

I have stopped using gdrive because it was extremely slow for small files transfers and I was throttled all the time - it was never ending fight. IMO Google makes sure that nobody can use it like GCS (which is much more expensive). One is simple consumer product with probably artificial limitations and other is for people who process serious stuff.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.