Failed to Copy: the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Failed to Copy: the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

something about the file names seems to annoy rclone. not sure what though, all the characters seem legit.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Windows Server 2019

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Local

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone sync --verbose -vv --log-file=Syntax.txt --transfers=50 "E:\Design Data\Drawings Customers\HI301-OE-26803" "ProdCrypt:Design Data\Drawings Customers\HI301-OE-26803"

A log from the command with the -vv flag

syntax.txt file attached.

Syntax.txt (627.8 KB)

could that the filename length is too long.
"Cloud storage systems have limits on file name length and total path length which rclone is more likely to breach using "Standard" file name encryption. Where file names are less thn 156 characters in length issues should not be encountered, irrespective of cloud storage provider."

it's local though; windows to windows. why could one handle it and not the other?

can you post the command? yes, i know it is in the log but still can you post it.

rclone sync --verbose -vv --log-file=Syntax.txt --transfers=50 "E:\Design Data\Drawings Customers\HI301-OE-26803" "ProdCrypt:Design Data\Drawings Customers\HI301-OE-26803"

i still think the issue is the length of the filename.

so the source and the crypt are both on the same computer?
or is the crypt shared over a network?

https://forum.rclone.org/t/question-does-crypt-has-no-filename-length-limit/18510/2

was evidently the issue. shortening up the file name solved it. i was thrown off because with cloud remotes, especially onedrive, they returned "maximum file path length exceeded" or something. I thank you.

welcome to the club of rcloners, myself included, that have learned, the hard way, that size does matter after all :upside_down_face:

lol. size has always mattered; just never in the way people set out thinking it does :wink:

i am going to look into this as rclone should be able to handle long file names for local

Note we have an issue for this in the VFS cache. I don't think that is quite the same as what is going on here though...

the filename length is still a problem with a crypt stored on a local windows comptuer.

given that rclone supports long paths on windows; why is that still a problem for the crypt

A great question...

It is because individual elements of the path are still limited to 255 characters. The whole path itself can be arbitrarily long but the individual elements (file names and directory names) can't be over 255 chars.

Windows doesn't come up with a very descriptive error when you exceed the limit...

yes shortening the file name made the error go away. generally rclone has been very stable with windows-to-windows and windows-to-cloud transfers. the only issue we've had is windows-to-truenas, but that's not an rclone issue as the windows copy/paste generates the same "unexpected network error" as rclone does. if any of y'all have a way of getting more details out of windows/rclone for that error, feel free to fill me in.

1 Like

edit: sorry i meant to post in another topic.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.