Errors with rclone sync and Dropbox

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I'm running into errors syncing my Dropbox contents to an external hard drive. I've done this in the past without issues. These are pictures that I also want to have backed up on a local drive. Note I make changes to these Dropbox images so need to use rclone sync to keep the copies in sync.
Note that I have Smart Sync on and have some of these files set as 'online only'. However I tried to Pause Syncing and still get the error.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

v1.56.2

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Dropbox

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone sync -P -v /Users/xxxxxx/Dropbox/Pictures/2021\ Pics /Volumes/Mac-Backup\ Drive/2021\ Pics

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

021/10/16 23:06:57 ERROR : 2021_01_23_###########_20210123-004.CR3: Failed to copy: failed to open source object: open /Users/xxxxxxxx/Dropbox/Pictures/2021 Pics/##############_20210123-004.CR3: input/output error

2021/10/16 19:19:47 NOTICE: 2021_01_17_############_20210117-009.CR3: Removing partially written file on error: can't copy - source file is being updated (size changed from 0 to 47720534)

hello and welcome to the forum,

can you add -vv to the rclone command and post the debug log

based on that log snippet,
source file is being updated
rclone will not copy a file while it is in use or if a file have changed while rclone is running.

fwiw, rclone supports dropbox, without the need for dropbox sync app.

Hello jojo,

I figured what the problem is I think, which is that I'm using the wrong Dropbox location as my source. (I did this before and don't sync often enough so I made the mistake again.) I am using my local Dropbox location and not the remote.

Thanks so much!
David

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.