Error while syncing with Azure blob storage [X-Ms-Error-Code: [InvalidBlobOrBlock]]

So I started rclone sync with Azure Blob as destination, this is error I get:

2020/04/12 17:32:36 ERROR : 95/Backup95/Backup95D2020-03-06T210059.vbk: Failed to copy: multipart upload failed to upload part: -> github.com/rclone/rclone/vendor/github.com/Azure/azure-storage-blob-go/azblob.newStorageError, d:/a/rclone/src/github.com/rclone/rclone/vendor/github.com/Azure/azure-storage-blob-go/azblob/zc_storage_error.go:42
===== RESPONSE ERROR (ServiceCode=InvalidBlobOrBlock) =====
Description=The specified blob or block content is invalid.
RequestId:cbba732b-d01e-0024-15df-106fb0000000
Time:2020-04-12T15:32:36.5584539Z, Details:
Code: InvalidBlobOrBlock
PUT https://ipcveeam.blob.core.windows.net/veeam/GMT+02-2020.04.05-06.00.05/95/Backup95/Backup95D2020-03-06T210059.vbk?blockid=AgAAAAAAAAA%3D&comp=block&timeout=31536001
Authorization: REDACTED
Content-Length: [67108864]
Content-Md5: [sdOp8BXW/H08rnCzez5pxw==]
User-Agent: [rclone/v1.50.2]
X-Ms-Client-Request-Id: [a466f2fe-a7af-4341-5ed9-2729bff159cb]
X-Ms-Date: [Sun, 12 Apr 2020 15:32:16 GMT]
X-Ms-Version: [2018-11-09]

RESPONSE Status: 400 The specified blob or block content is invalid.
Content-Length: [234]
Content-Type: [application/xml]
Date: [Sun, 12 Apr 2020 15:32:36 GMT]
Server: [Windows-Azure-Blob/1.0 Microsoft-HTTPAPI/2.0]
X-Ms-Error-Code: [InvalidBlobOrBlock]
X-Ms-Request-Id: [cbba732b-d01e-0024-15df-106fb0000000]
X-Ms-Version: [2018-11-09]

Please advise.

hello and welcome to the forum,
i also use veeam for backups and rclone to copy that to cloud.

what is your command?
what is your version of rclone? run rclone --version
have you tried again, are you getting the same error?

this is my command:
rclone --retries-sleep=5m --retries 3 -vv sync \syn-ipc\backup-virtual#snapshot\GMT+02-2020.04.05-06.00.05\ ipc-veeam:veeam/GMT+02-2020.04.05-06.00.05/
version is v1.50.2
so i included 3 retries in my command and all of them failed same way.

the latest stable version is v1.51.0. you should update.

have you been running this command for a long peroid of time and just today you have a problem?

the default value for --retries is 3, so your flag is not doing anything useful, you can remove it.
https://rclone.org/docs/#retries-int

ok updated rclone now.
its just first time i started this command, although i used rclone similary in past for other things.
when rclone is run, and I have alot of data to sync (around 3TB in 2 files which should be uploaded now, other files are already synced), those big files are read by rclone and this takes ages. why does it read the files from source on start (?) just to see that those files do not exist on destination and then fails copying to destination with error i pasted before.

rclone, by default, use checksums, when uploading files; so that delay on start is from that.

if you look in the logs, you will see
2020/04/11 14:38:40 DEBUG : EN07/EN072020-04-11T102901.vbk: MD5 = 0ada13e08229cc81dfd8a0bdc727424c OK
2020/04/11 14:38:40 INFO : EN07/EN072020-04-11T102901.vbk: Copied (new)

rclone saves that md5 checksum as meta data for the file transferred.

now, i could be wrong, but as i understand it, rclone has to set the meta data before upload.
so that forces rclone to calculate the checksum first, update the meta data and then upload the file.
this prevents rclone from doing a rolling checksum while uploading.
thus the delay

ok i figured that, is there a way for me to skip this - using checksum?
so only check size + modification date if they dont match on source and target - copy the files.
now, since i already waited a long time checksums should be calculated and ready but again it reads the big files from scratch which will take ages.

i believe that is the default behaviour,
https://rclone.org/docs/#c-checksum
Normally rclone will look at modification time and size of files to see if they are equal

i understand that, but i ment skipping calculating checksom for files on source.
thats whats causing the abnormal delay since to calculate checksum whole files must be read and that takes alot of time.

i do not know, i never tried that,

i use rclone primarily to upload veeam backup files and i depend on that checksum, to ensure uploads were successful.

is your source a networked synology box?

yes it is, how did you know? :slight_smile:
i know it depends on those checksums, but they were already calculated once and that took maybe 15 hours of reading source files...so now i started command again its reading those big files again and calculating checksum (whereas it should have recorded checksum in metadata).

based on your command.

that large delay on start, is exacerbated by using your computer, accessing a networked synbox with raid subsystem.
perhaps run rclone on the synbox itself.

you are right, that would speed things up, i could do that.
but still dont understand why calculating checksum again.

rclone has no concept of a database.

given the large size of those veeam backup files, you could write a simple script.

where does rclone keep track of checksums? you mentioned metadata before.
how would script help me here?

rclone does not keep track of checksums.
you could these command to create a simple database and write a script to compare checksums.

rclone.exe lsf --files-only -R remote:\folder --format=ph
https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_md5sum/
https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_hashsum/

indeed that is cool way to compare checksums, but...
what you are saying to me is that it is normal for rclone, when syncing, always reads whole all of source files and there is no way around that (since it has to calculate checksum every time).

rclone, by default, when syncing, does not calculate checksum for files on the source.
rclone uses timestamp and file size to determine if a file needs to be uploaded.

it only calculates the checksum when uploading a file.

ok i understand.
and in my case it failed to upload, so went calculating checksum again (which took 15 hours or so).

there might be a way to prevent rclone from check-summing an file before upload.
as i mentioned i use rclone to upload large veeam backup file and i need that check-summing.
a backup file that cannot be trusted, is not a backup

i suggest that you start a new post, use the question template and ask the following question such as
"how to force rclone to skip the initial checksum when uploading files large files"

else write your own script, with a simple csv database.
i have a 300+ python script that i use for rclone, fastcopy and rclone.

or run rclone on the synbox and do some testing.

or find ways to shrink the size of the .vbk files