Error when trying to run rclone copy on C:\

I know I'm probably missing something, but I looked around and didn't see anything similar to my problem.
Whenever I run rclone copy -L C:\ GoogleDrive_Crypt:/Computer/C_Drive I get the errors similar to the following:

2020/04/21 14:42:22 ERROR : Users/Default/Application Data: failed to open directory "Users/Default/Application Data": open \\?\C:\Users\Default\Application Data: Access is denied.
2020/04/21 14:42:22 ERROR : Users/Default/Cookies: failed to open directory "Users/Default/Cookies": open \\?\C:\Users\Default\Cookies: Access is denied.
2020/04/21 14:42:22 ERROR : Users/Default/AppData/Local/Application Data: failed to open directory "Users/Default/AppData/Local/Application Data": open \\?\C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Application Data: Access is denied.
2020/04/21 14:42:22 ERROR : ProgramData/Application Data: failed to open directory "ProgramData/Application Data": open \\?\C:\ProgramData\Application Data: Access is denied.
2020/04/21 14:42:22 ERROR : Users/Default/AppData/Local/History: failed to open directory "Users/Default/AppData/Local/History": open \\?\C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\History: Access is denied.
2020/04/21 14:42:22 ERROR : Users/Default/Documents/My Music: failed to open directory "Users/Default/Documents/My Music": open \\?\C:\Users\Default\Documents\My Music: Access is denied.

It appears it is only having this error when trying to copy Windows hidden files. I would preferably like to make an entire copy of my C:\ drive for backup purposes. Is there anyway around these errors? I'm running Powershell as an Administrator and it is still getting the Accesss is denied error.

Thanks for taking a look. Feel free to point out if i missed anything obvious.

hello and welcome to the forum,

most, if not all, of those access denied are links.

perhaps use -l instead of -L

in addition, rclone is not well suited to backup a windows c: drive.
you are going to have lots of problem with:

1. open files, that cannot be backed-up.
  2. file modified during the time rclone is running, generating checksum mismatches.
  3. access denied to many files, files that you will never be able to backup using rclone.
  4. you are just backing up files, not creating a bare metal recovery image. if your computer became corrupted, you would have to re-install windows and all apps. and you will find that many needed files were not backed-up by rclone and lost forever.

I'll try using the -l and see if it gives me less errors.

I actually am planning to use ShadowSpan so that I can copy in-use files, but you make a solid point. I might switch my tactics to utilize rclone for backing up as many files as I can and then find another way to automatically create a recovery image of windows.

Appreciate the input!

sure,
i have my own python script, 350+ of code using vss, rclone, fastcopy and 7zip.
shadowspan was not a good use for me given
---"ShadowSpawn is currently at version 0.1.0, there are bound to be a few issues as early adopters identify opportunities for improvement."
---"Shadowspawn is no longer under active development" for over 5 years now.

have you seen my wiki?

as for recovery image, you have many options

1. pay $ for cloudberry backup, very good software, not so good tech support.
  2. what i use is the free edition of veeam agent, then use rclone to copy the veeam backup files to cloud.
  3. lots of other choices

also, you learn about two flags.
--backup-dir
--dry-run

Oh wow haha. All this sounds super helpful. I haven't seen your wiki, but I will read through it tonight. I think I can piece together my own solution using a few of these things in combination. Thanks for all this information!

that is the way to go

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.