Error when copying with rclone code 429

When uploading a file hosted on my pc to google drive, using rclone in its latest version, I get the following error:

Failed to move with 2 errors: last error was: googleapi: got HTTP response code 429 with body: Sorry... body { font-family: verdana, arial, sans-serif; background-color: #fff; color: #000; }

Google
Sorry...

We're sorry...

... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

See Google Help for more information.

Google Home

Are you uploading from a hetzner server by chance?

That's right, I'm using that server

Welcome to the club. Seems were all in the same boat (hetzner users that is.) May I ask, is your server @ Falkenstein?

is located in nuremberg

makes sense, sort of. Yesterday was Helsinki and now it's Germany... Would be great to find out why, though!

If it hurts, it allows me to download files from drive, but it doesn't allow me to upload, not even from the drive website. It would be good to know why this happens, they are good servers.

Really? You're unable to even upload using the UI? I've just tested it out, uploading some rather small files to seperate team drives, and it works for me from the UI... I agree though, bang for the dollar you can't beat a hetzner server...

Too bad, I'll try the locations in the United States, hoping that the servers there still work to upload.

As far as I can see, the only servers affected are those in the German DC's.. I'm connected two other servers at the moment, one at home in Canada and the other in the US which are working without issues at all.. Makes me wonder, is it an issue on google's end or is it an issue that Hetzner needs to address...

Good luck!

Hopefully hetzner fixes it. And maybe someone who knows will tell us why this happens.

Just in case people doesn't see the other thread; @DeuX came up with the solution here. Simply change your default DNS server to something else than the Hetzner servers.

1 Like

For Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

sudo vim /etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml 

update nameservers to 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8

nameservers:
        addresses:

then apply

sudo netplan apply 

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.