Error "resource temporarily unavailable" when trying to compare 0-byte files?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I'm using rclone to backup from a Linux amd64 box to a folder shared from a Windows 10 Pro box 64-bit. There's an additional crypt layer.

I see many errors like this:

2021-02-14 11:34:00 ERROR : d2/lightroom_picture/2008/IMG_2744.CR2.par2: Failed to copy: open /amnt/uilos_e/AthelasRclone/d2/lightroom_picture/2008/165.PTN_3855.JY3.why3: resource temporarily unavailable

Upon close examination, the file 165.PTN_3855.JY3.why3 on the destination shared folder is 0-byte.

What could be the possible cause for this? There's nothing more interesting in the DEBUG log level either, just showing that rclone tried it 10 times and all failed with the same error:

Received error: open d2/lightroom_picture/2008/IMG_2744.CR2.par2: Failed to copy: open /amnt/uilos_e/AthelasRclone/d2/lightroom_picture/2008/165.PTN_3855.JY3.why3: resource temporarily unavailable - low level retry 3/10

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.50.2

• os/arch: linux/amd64
  • go version: go1.14.4

It's the version shipped with Ubuntu 20.10. If there's a need, I could try the latest version.

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

I'm using rclone to backup from a Linux amd64 box to a folder shared from a Windows 10 Pro box 64-bit. There's an additional crypt layer.

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

None related.

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone sync /src uilos-e-crypt:

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[uilos-e]
type = local

[uilos-e-crypt]
type = crypt
remote = uilos-e:/amnt/uilos_e/AthelasRclone/
password = redacted
password2 = redacted
filename_encryption = obfuscate
directory_name_encryption = false

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Please see above.

hello and welcome to the forum.

perhaps update to latest stable, v1.54.0 and test again.

That will be because it didn't get written properly I think. What size is the source? Is it a non-zero size?

The error resource temporarily unavailable is being generated by the destination of the sync (we can tell by the obfuscated file name), so for some reason CIFS/Samba is returning that error.

It would be worth trying with

export GODEBUG=asyncpreemptoff=1

as there is a bug in CIFS/Samba which interacts badly with the go runtime.

Also try the latest version - that might help too as it has a newer version of the go runtime.

Yes. I think that's the case. These empty files just kept popping up. The source files are not zero-byte.

I tried that. No change.

Will do. Thanks for the comment!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.