Error 403 'appNotAuthorizedToChild'

Hi, I am having trouble with rclone for the first time ever after using it perfectly fine for years.

I am trying to delete a folder in my google drive remote. When I try to do so I get the following error:

Failed to purge: googleapi: Error 403: The user may not have granted the app **** write access to all of the children of file **** ., appNotAuthorizedToChild

**** = redacted (not sure if this is private information)

I have spent a lot of time trying to work out the issue but I am having no luck and asking here as a last resort. I have found a lot of answers saying to change the 'scope' in the config file, which I have tried but it still gives the same error. I have also tried linking to google api with a client ID and secret, but again returns the same error.

The folder I am unable to delete was not uploaded differently to the ones next to it (which I can delete as normal) so I am confused as to why it is only happening to this specific folder.

I should also probably mention this is within a crypt of the main google drive. I was thinking I could try to delete the encrypted folder from within the google drive web platform but with it being encrypted the folder names have random strings.

I only have a basic understanding of how all this works so I am sorry in advance if it is something simple, I have only posted here as a last resort as I don't know what else to try. Please let me know if you need any further information and I will do my best to provide it,

Many thanks for any help you can give!

hello and welcome to the forum,

when you posted there was a template of questions for you to answer.

to help us to help you, please provide answers to all the questions
as you are new to the forum, i have taken the time to re-post them for you.

STOP and READ YOUR POST WILL BE REMOVED IF IT IS LOW QUALITY:
Please show the effort you've put in to solving the problem and please be specific -- people are volunteering their time to help you! Low effort posts are not likely to get good answers! DO NOT REDACT any information except passwords/keys/personal info. You should use 3 backticks to begin and end your paste to make it readable. Or use a service such as https://pastebin.com or https://gist.github.com/

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

STOP and READ: Are you on the latest version of rclone? You can validate by checking the version listed here: Rclone downloads

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Paste command here

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I am trying to delete a folder in my google drive crypt remote but I am getting an error when trying to do so.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

v1.55.1

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Windows 10 64bit

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

I am using Rclone Browser 'delete' command on a folder

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[drive]
type = drive
scope = drive.file
token = {"access_token":"****","token_type":"Bearer","refresh_token":"****","expiry":"2021-06-12T20:29:09.5644873+01:00"}
root_folder_id = root

[crypt]
type = crypt
remote = drive:crypt
filename_encryption = standard
directory_name_encryption = true
password = ****

A log from the command with the -vv flag

(from Rclone browser output window)
Failed to purge: googleapi: Error 403: The user may not have granted the app **** write access to all of the children of file ****., appNotAuthorizedToChild

can you post rclone delete with a debug log?
or rclone browser with a debug log

if you want to find the exact file, might try
rclone lsf --format=pe

Thanks for the help, you'll have to bear with me, i've not used the command line since i set it up a few years ago so I can't quite remember how to use it!

is there a reason for not using a client id/secret?

is there a reason for using
scope = drive.file
and not
scope=drive

I thought I was using a client id/secret to be honest. I have one set up on my google account when i made the remote but it doesn't seem to be linked. I did try and add it using rclone config to edit the remote but it didn't seem to help the issue. Should I leave the details added in? I am not aware of the benefits of having these details.

I also do not know why scope = drive.file , maybe it was like this as default as I do not remember setting it as such. I have also tried changing this to drive as recommended on other forums but still get the same error unfortunately

Ah its working now! I added the client id and secret and then done the auto authorize which asked permission in the browser. I must not have done this last time which is why it didn't work. The folder has now deleted as normal.

Many thanks for your help!

good, we got it working

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.