Encrypting on OnDrive has pathIsTooLong Error

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I use encryt to store things in OneDrive and it seems OneDrive does not accept long path name

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

v1.52.3

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

centos 7

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

OneDrive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount xxxx

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

2020/08/15 05:10:21 ERROR : my_path_name/6KKKMZBVFZDFCNVRQ7RNGYJU36JVP5ETPSRIVPY/ZNVKHUJ45Z4UOKEPIKGIMP3CB4WRAZ7W2O6ZE5A7XAFPCVZAD2EQ/R7UHJT4RLXWON7DSOF6LPP2LGQQC4GU3RPZFNGU5XPFMFL2SS2CFEB2LCTMJSI5EPFIEX3RJIQBZK/BHGRMUYYTH2FEKVFI7D67ZS2AM/PBGSIILMEMEOB7T6YTXCGV5FNE/CALD6WOVYKBAHVEEWWZ4YFV5X4/XM2MOYAJHUO5LJPTLJ34KBVUGL3EEOZ2Y5NDBSHJE3FXJHDSPPAQ42C7Q4NGVKVXNMO6ORBG4LEKE: File.Rename error: pathIsTooLong: Path is too long

OneDrive has a limit on the path size allowed: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/invalid-file-names-and-file-types-in-onedrive-and-sharepoint-64883a5d-228e-48f5-b3d2-eb39e07630fa#filenamepathlengths

Now, the problem with Encryption is that it will increase the path size, so it's easier to hit this limit. I recall there was some ideas on how to work around that, but currently only not encrypting the media names or using just obfuscate them should work better, yet the problem will return if you have a lot of long named files and folders.

Thanks! I just wonder whether it is possible to make the encrypted name shorter?

You can use the obfuscated file name mode which is less secure but much shorter.

Thanks, Hope there will be some better solution later.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.