Encrypting a local folder

I'm currently using rclone to encrypt a local folder on of my remote linux servers. I mount the drive just like I mount a remote encrypted google drive. Unfortunately, that shit is SLOW, which makes me ask the question: What settings would improve performance reading and writing to a locally encrypted folder?

Here's what I got so far:

rclone mount local_encrypted_drive: /unencrypted/folder \
  -o auto_cache \
  -o sync_read \
  --allow-other \
  --vfs-cache-mode=writes \
  --buffer-size=64M \
  --cache-dir=/cache/rclone

I don't even think these are optimal, I tried a bunch of different configs and just gave up and this was the last one that worked.

One of the things I was thinking about is that writing a single file to disk should be a single threaded operation, but when I write a large ISO to /unencrypted/folder, all the CPU cores light up. Is that the encryption/decryption process, or is rclone trying to write multiple streams to the disk? If so, can I single thread it?

Any ideas?

Every single one of those other solutions presents a host of other problems that I would have to go to other forums to ask questions about. I have this working, I just want to see if I can get it working better.

Best to use the question template as it asks for version/logs/etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by single threaded as it's just writing a single file to disk.

I guess you are using the cache backend by your commands, but it's hard to tell. That is slower as it keeps things on disk and adds another layer.

If you want to share your rclone.conf, minus passwords/keys and what commands you are using and a debug log, we're happy to help out.

If you can be specific as "slow" doesn't mean anything as to what you are expecting, what you are seeing and more information on your internet connection/etc.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.