Duplicating a crypt remote's underlying folder - rclone hanging

I’ve got an existing crypt remote, and I’m trying to split off 1 particular folder off into its own, separate crypt remote.

I thought I’d try the below method, so that everything could take place on the server:

1. create a copy (duplicate) of the crypt remote’s underlying files by using “rclone copy” on the remote where the crypt resides, to copy its contents to a new folder on the underlying remote.

2. accessing the original crypt remote, delete the unwanted files (i.e. the stuff I wanna split off into a new crypt remote)

3. accessing the duplicated crypt remote, delete the files left over in step 2 (i.e the stuff that I want to keep in the original remote, not the new one)

4. change the encryption key of the new, duplicated remote, so that it’s not the same as the original one.

The problem I’m encountering is in step 1. Everything has been copying server-side without any issues, but it’s reached a point where it’s just ground to a halt, nothing is transferring anymore. There are files listed as “Transferring” but there’s no progress at all.

Any clue what’s causing it? Here’s the command I’m running (using RCloneBrowser):

rclone copy --checksum --verbose --transfers 4 --checkers 8 --contimeout 60s --timeout 300s --retries 3 --low-level-retries 10 --delete-excluded --fast-list --stats 1s remote:folder remote:folder_copy

Are you copying to google drive? I believe there is something like a 100GB limit on server side copies per day? That might be it. You should see errors in the log if so.

Thanks - I think it’s some kind of API limit I’m hitting.

I’m not receiving any error messages from rclone at all, but when I check the current size of the duplicated folder, it’s 750gb, which is of course a familiar number. I guess that limit applies to server-side copies as well as to incoming data.

1 Like