Duplicate files on Google Drive (but not really...)

I started a sync job to Google Drive. It was going very slowly. It took a day to transfer an 11 GB file and then about 12 hours to transfer another 7 GB file. When I looked on Google Drive, there are two copies of each file. When I check the running sync job, it says 19GB have been transferred. I’m not sure where the issue lies but I’m willing to bet it is Google. There is no way I could have transferred that much in that amount of time. When I check the activity on Google, it looks like the duplicate file was uploaded a few minutes after the original, also impossible. Somehow, a duplicate is being created. It is still processing the two videos so maybe they are dummy files, I don’t know. Anyone else come across this? No encryption enabled for this.

Duplicate files have been a perennial problem with rclone. (And also for google photos). I suspect it is something drive is doing, but I haven't got to the bottom of it.

That is very interesting that you got duplicates but rclone definitely didn't upload them... That does point the finger to drive misbehaving.

Note that I made the rclone dedupe command specifically to deal with this problem!

Could you write the above comment on this issue please for future reference?

Thanks

https://github.com/ncw/rclone/issues/28

Yes, I’ve seen that it’s been an issue. I added the comment to the issue as requested. I thought it might be interesting as I have not seen any mention of the weirdness that I am having where it obviously could not have been uploaded twice. Good to know rclone just isn’t wasting bandwidth. Thanks.

edit: Come to think of it, I also had a similar issue with a web service. I forget the name but the service would let you link various cloud providers and sync them, using their bandwidth instead of yours. I synced files from Amazon to Google and I also had duplicate issues with that.