Dropbox folder mounted but files don't update change in the cloud

Hello, I used to use 'rclone sync' to manually sync the local and cloud folder in dropbox. Recently I
successfully learnt to mount the cloud folder in my linux file system. There was no error reported.
The startup script content is

#! /bin/bash
rclone --vfs-cache-mode writes mount dbENCRYPT: ~/Vault &

However after a few days I found that the cloud folder hasn't been updated after I used 'rclone mount' instead of 'rclone sync', although the local folder has changed many times.
Did I miss something??

I can’t figure out what you are asking or what was executed.

Rclone sync would copy a source and make the destination the same as the source.

Rclone mount takes a remote and makes it accessible on a server.

They can’t be interchanged as they take very different parameters.

What are you trying to do or what do you want to happen? Can you share your use case or the flow?

Sorry, I thought 'rclone mount' would do something like a dropbox folder on my system, so that whenever I make changes to the folder, it's updated automatically on the dropbox cloud as well. So it is not like that?
Is there an equivalent feature in rclone that does it?

p.s. If 'Rclone mount takes a remote and makes it accessible on a server.', how come my ~/Vault folder has always the latest content, whereas the dropbox cloud folder has the old content after so many reboot?

correct.
if you want dropbox to be in sync with a local folder, you need to use rclone sync.
since rclone mount makes the dropbox folder appear as local storage, you can use any linux copy tool, to copy local to the rclone mount.

when you first posted, there was a template of questions, without the answers, very hard to help you.

What happens when I copy local storage to the rclone mount exactly? Will the dropbox cloud folder have the new copied content?

I'm posting trying to understand what does 'rclone mount' do. But I'm more confused by your answer now.

1. I mounted the dropbox folder under ~/Vault with the command rclone --vfs-cache-mode writes mount dbENCRYPT: ~/Vault &.
  2. I see some files e.g. a.txt, b.txt under ~/Vault.
  3. I made changes to the file a.txt so it becomes a_new.txt. under the ~/Vault folder
  4. I go to drobox website to check the dbENCRYPT folder and see that it still has a.txt instead of a_new.txt.

Question: Is this supposed to be like that with the 'rclone mount'? If so, I have a misunderstanding about what 'rclone mount' does.

post the rclone config file, redact secrets.

as a test, rclone copy a local file to that dbENCRYPT, does it show in dropbox website?
rclone copy /path/to/local/file.txt dbENCRYPT: -vv

config file

[dbENCRYPT]
type = crypt
remote = db:Music
filename_encryption = standard
directory_name_encryption = true
password = **
password2 = **

rclone copy log with " rclone copy ~/Downloads/12345.txt dbENCRYPT: -vv"

~> rclone copy ./Downloads/12345.txt dbENCRYPT:Music -vv
2021/03/18 19:40:24 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.53.3-DEV" starting with parameters ["rclone" "copy" "./Downloads/12345.txt" "dbENCRYPT:Music" "-vv"]
2021/03/18 19:40:24 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "./Downloads/12345.txt"
2021/03/18 19:40:24 DEBUG : Using config file from "/home/myusername/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
2021/03/18 19:40:24 DEBUG : fs cache: adding new entry for parent of "./Downloads/12345.txt", "/home/myusername/Downloads"
2021/03/18 19:40:24 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "dbENCRYPT:Music"
2021/03/18 19:40:24 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "db:Music/***"
2021/03/18 19:40:26 DEBUG : 12345.txt: Need to transfer - File not found at Destination
2021/03/18 19:40:29 INFO  : 12345.txt: Copied (new)
2021/03/18 19:40:29 INFO  : 
Transferred:            54 / 54 Bytes, 100%, 18 Bytes/s, ETA 0s
Transferred:            1 / 1, 100%
Elapsed time:         5.3s

2021/03/18 19:40:29 DEBUG : 5 go routines active

New file that's copied there can be found in the dropbox cloud (judging from the file date as all file names are encrypted). But changing the content of an existing file doesn't update the file in the dropbox cloud, as when I download the whole folder from the cloud, the file is still the old version.

It turned out my login rclone mount script was not actually working.
'&' should be removed from the command when it's executed as a startup script.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.