Does each rclone instance need it's own RC?

Hey all,

I am a little unclear on how the main rclone instance and the RC server connects together. Are these grouped and linked in some way by how they are launched, or is the RC completely independent?

For example - let's say I want to mount 2 drives and I want RC for both of them to run a VFS/refresh command. I know that I can accomplish this by using --rc on each of the mount commands with different ports for each, but then presumably I am running 2 RC servers right?

Is there a cleaner way to use a single RC to control multiple rclone processes? If so then how could I tell an RC command to apply to a certain instance and not the others? Or is there in fact only 1 RC server - but listening to multiple ports is just how it interfaces with multiple instances?

Hope someone can clarify so I can try to simplify my systems a little bit :slight_smile:

Each rclone process is independent so when you run two rclone binaries you'll need --rc on each, and you'll need to set --rc-addr, eg --rc-addr localhost:9000. Each one runs an rc server on a different port.

You use the --rc-addr on the rclone rc command to tell it which rclone it is speaking to, so rclone rc --rc-addr localhost:9000

If you leave it off it will use the default

1 Like

Thanks - so I guess I am doing it the right way already then. Not a big problem I guess since however much resources each RC server uses it is pretty trivial.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.