Docker: Start rclone automatically with multiple mounts and WebGUI

I am just starting out with rclone using docker on a QNAP and have successfully mounted a pCloud drive using the following tutorial: https://rclone.org/install/#install-with-docker

I am now trying to add multiple mounts and the webgui with a single command, but I am not sure how to do that.

I have now the following.

docker run \
    --name=rclone \
    -v /share/docker/rclone/config:/config/rclone \
    -v /share/docker/rclone/data:/data:shared \
    -v /etc/passwd:/etc/passwd:ro \
	-v /etc/group:/etc/group:ro \
	-p 5572:5572 \
    --device /dev/fuse \
	--cap-add SYS_ADMIN \
	--security-opt apparmor:unconfined \
    rclone/rclone \
	mount --vfs-cache-mode full pcloud:/ /data/pcloud &

Version:

rclone v1.53.2
- os/arch: linux/amd64
- go version: go1.15.3

Suggestions how I could add additional mount commands and/or the WebGUI (rcd)

I have found a way to do it with "rclone rc"
It anyone is interested, here is how:

docker run \
    --name=rclone \
    -v /share/docker/rclone/config:/config/rclone \
    -v /share/docker/rclone/data:/data:shared \
    --device /dev/fuse \
	--cap-add SYS_ADMIN \
    --restart unless-stopped \
    -d rclone/rclone:latest \
    rcd --rc-web-gui --rc-addr :5572 --rc-web-gui-no-open-browser --rc-user rclone --rc-pass rclone

sleep 5

docker exec rclone rclone rc mount/mount fs=pcloud: mountPoint=/data/pcloud vfsOpt='{"CacheMode": 3}' --rc-user=rclone --rc-pass=rclone
docker exec rclone rclone rc mount/mount fs=dropbox: mountPoint=/data/dropbox vfsOpt='{"CacheMode": 3}' --rc-user=rclone --rc-pass=rclone
docker exec rclone rclone rc mount/mount fs=googledrive: mountPoint=/data/googledrive vfsOpt='{"CacheMode": 3}' --rc-user=rclone --rc-pass=rclone

Note that vfsOpt='{"CacheMode": 3}' stands for '--vfs-cache-mode full'

I'll make a note to make it so you can use the string there too! the 3 is not very friendly is it :slight_smile:

Thanks. That took me quite a bit of time to figure that one out. Probably, it is better to use the --json interface. That is a bit more comprehensive.

I am running into another issue. When I want to run rclone in docker as another user (non admin) as explained in: https://rclone.org/install/#install-with-docker, there is a problem with the cache directory as the /etc/passwd is inherited from the host (home does not exist) I thought of changing the cache directory with --cache-dir, but with the "rclone rc" command, it seems not to have any effect (unless I am doing something wrong :wink: )

I start the container as follows. The --cache-dir option works here (without it I get an error)

docker run \
    --name=rclone
    --user $PUID:$PGID \
    -v $VOLUME_CONFIG:/config/rclone \
    -v $VOLUME_DATA:/data:shared \
    --device /dev/fuse \
    --cap-add SYS_ADMIN \
    rcd --rc-web-gui --rc-addr :5572 --rc-web-gui-no-open-browser --cache-dir /data/.cache --rc-user $USERNAME --rc-pass $PASSWORD

However when I mount with one of the following commands

docker exec rclone rclone rc mount/mount fs=pcloud: mountPoint=/data/pcloud vfsOpt='{"CacheMode": 3}' --cache-dir /data/.cache --rc-user $USERNAME --rc-pass $PASSWORD

docker exec rclone rclone rc mount/mount --rc-user=$USERNAME --rc-pass=$PASSWORD --json '{ "fs":"pcloud:", "mountPoint":"/data/pcloud", "vfs-cache-mode":"full", "cache-dir":"/data/.cache" }'

The option "cache_dir" seems to have no effect (it uses the default):

2020/11/05 13:29:13 ERROR : error reading available plugins: Error creating : /share/homes/username/.cache/rclone/webgui/plugins/config

I was confusing the permissions on the docker container with the wanted permissions on the target file system. Still, if you are running the docker container with the "--user $PUID:$PGID" option on any other user besides the root user, you get very strange behavior:

• not all the remotes in your rclone.conf are visible (only the first one?)
  • you cannot mount the container with "rclone rc mount/mount"

Anyway, after digging deeper in the forum posts, I came to the following solution to do the following

• Mount cloud storage for a specific user / group.
  • Modified the default permissions (user: all, group: read, world: none) (umask 027 --> integer 23)
  • Mount multiple cloud storages.
  • Everything via an installation of rclone via docker (which is preferable for me, since it is running on a NAS).

The solution:

AUTH="--rc-user=$USERNAME --rc-pass=$PASSWORD"

docker run \
    --name=rclone \
    -v $VOLUME_CONFIG:/config/rclone \
    -v $VOLUME_DATA:/data:shared \
    --device /dev/fuse \
    --cap-add SYS_ADMIN \
    rcd --rc-web-gui --rc-addr :5572 --rc-web-gui-no-open-browser --cache-dir /data/.cache $AUTH

sleep 5

mkdir -p $VOLUME_DATA/pcloud $VOLUME_DATA/dropbox $VOLUME_DATA/googledrive
docker exec rclone rclone rc options/set $AUTH --json '{"vfs": {"CacheMode": 3, "UID": '$PUID', "GID": '$PGID', "Umask": 23}, "mount": {"AllowOther": true}}'
docker exec rclone rclone rc mount/mount fs=pcloud: mountPoint=/data/pcloud $AUTH
docker exec rclone rclone rc mount/mount fs=dropbox: mountPoint=/data/dropbox $AUTH
docker exec rclone rclone rc mount/mount fs=googledrive: mountPoint=/data/googledrive $AUTH

You'll need to add the --cache-dir onto the main rclone command running the rc server I think, or set the global option with the rc.

Looks like you've got it sorted now :slight_smile:

Thanks for tip. --cache-dir was not working here because I executed the docker container with a '--user' parameter that was not root. Lots of weird things happened, so I just leave it to run under root.

Can you actually set it through rclone rc options/set? I could not find a parameter.

rclone rc options/get --rc-user=$USERNAME --rc-pass=$PASSWORD | grep Cache
                "WritebackCache": false
                "CacheMaxAge": 3600000000000,
                "CacheMaxSize": -1,
                "CacheMode": 3,
                "CachePollInterval": 60000000000,
                "DirCacheTime": 300000000000,

I also was wondering about the units of time for e.g. CacheMaxAge. It looks like to be nanoseconds? (default is 1h = 3600s, and it is listed as 3600 with 9 additional zeroes).

I just checked the code, yes you are right these can't be set by options/set. This is an oversight!

Yes it is nanoseconds. I plan to allow users to pass a string like the command line args take, eg "5s" but that doesn't work yet.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.