Discrepancy of number of files and amount of data between Dropbox and Google Drive

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I've been trying to transfer 11.09 TB from Dropbox over to Google Drive. Because of Google Drive's 750 GB/user/day limit, I had to restart my command about once a day, for a couple of weeks. It seems like rclone can now go through the whole Dropbox directory tree, but it doesn't seem to want to transfer a handful of files. My Dropbox source, according to the Dropbox macOS desktop app, has 23,560 items, and takes up 11.09 TB, but the Google Drive folder, has only 20,067 items. The Google Drive desktop app does indeed show 11.09 TB of space used, though.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

$ rclone --version
rclone v1.56.2

• os/version: rocky 8.4 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 4.18.0-305.19.1.el8_4.x86_64 (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.16.8
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Dropbox and Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

$ rclone copy dropbox:/ google-drive:/ -P --tpslimit 10

FYI, I was using --tpslimit 10 because, without it, I had been running into Dropbox's API limits: Too many requests or write operations. Trying again in 300 seconds. With the --tpslimit 10 flag, I'm able to successfully check everything that rclone can see:

Transferred:   	          0 / 0 Byte, -, 0 Byte/s, ETA -
Checks:             17433 / 17433, 100%
Elapsed time:     27m52.1s

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

$ rclone config show
[dropbox]
type = dropbox
client_id = REDACTED
client_secret = REDACTED
token = {"access_token":"REDACTED","token_type":"bearer","refresh_token":"REDACTED","expiry":"2021-11-16T02:59:54.667484576Z"}

[google-drive]
type = drive
client_id = REDACTED
client_secret = REDACTED
scope = drive
root_folder_id = REDACTED
token = {"access_token":"REDACTED","token_type":"Bearer","refresh_token":"REDACTED","expiry":"2021-11-16T01:06:18.788262467Z"}
team_drive = 

A log from the command with the -vv flag

This is probably not applicable; I'll just say that it traverses through all the files, and they all seem to have this notice:

DEBUG : example-file.extension: Size and modification time the same (differ by 0s, within tolerance 1s)

Run rclone size against each remote and share the output.

From rclone, both are identical: Total objects: 17433. Why might the desktop apps show discrepancies?

• Dropbox's desktop app says: 23,560 items
  • Google Drive's desktop app says: 20,067 items

I don't use either desktop app so not sure as they may contain things rclone can't see like app folders or other things.

If the rclone sizes are right, I'd say you are good.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.