Disable cache while copying file to mounted drive for uploading to drive

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I am using rclone on Windows 11 and i have mounted my onedrive as network drive with rclone mount. I have enabled vfs cache on a secondary SSD. The problem is that when i want to copy a file from my primary SSD to onedrive using explorer (mounted drive) the file first get copied to the cache directory and then it get uploaded to onedrive. Is it possible to upload the file directly to onedrive without copying it to the secondary SSD.
I know i can use rclone copy command to copy, but it would be great to copy file directly in explorer.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.62.2

• os/version: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 22H2 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 10.0.23419.1000 Build 23419.1000.1000 (x86_64)
  • os/type: windows
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.20.2
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: cmount

Are you on the latest version of rclone? You can validate by checking the version listed here: Rclone downloads
--> YES

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

OneDrive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount OneDrive: O: --network-mode --cache-dir E:\Cache --vfs-cache-mode full

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[OneDrive]
type = onedrive
client_id = ###
client_secret = ###
token = ###
drive_id = ###
drive_type = business

hello and welcome to the forum,

if you do not want to use the cache, then remove the flags from your command.

tho in practice, often will not work well.
make sure to use a debug log and looks for errors.

I would like to use the cache when downloading files from OneDrive, but i would like to transfer file directly to the cloud from my primary SSD without having to copy them to the Cache directory (secondary SSD)

as mentioned, if you do not use a cache for writes, the odds are you will get errors.

i suggested that you run a test, start a mount without the vfs file cache, try to upload a file and look for ERROR

for example,
ERROR : file.ext: WriteFileHandle: Truncate: Can't change size without --vfs-cache-mode >= writes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.