Difference between remote and backend

I read this sentence from hasher-cache-storage

"Databases are maintained one per base backend, named like BaseRemote~hasher.bolt."

and i thought, what is the definition of these two words?
--- backend
--- remote

1 Like

is this a correct example?

backend	-> S3
provider-> wasabi
remote	-> name.of.remote:

Good question. I agree with your example there. In docs we also have the term "storage system", which I would say is the same as "backend". Then I'm sure this is not 100% consistent in docs, log messages etc.. I think at least "remote" is sometimes used a bit more general, i.e. covering "backend" as well, but don't remember any examples so I may be wrong..

updated example

backend			-> S3
storage.system	-> alias to backend
provider		-> wasabi
remote			-> name.of.remote:

tho not sure storage.system should include crypt or alias
so perhaps

storage.system	-> subset of backend

I was thinking more about the storage system vs backend myself...

"Storage system" is perhaps more the external concept, e.g. the actual Dropbox's service. From Overview of cloud storage systems :

Each cloud storage system is slightly different. Rclone attempts to provide a unified interface to them.

And then a "Backend" is more the individual "libraries" in rclone where it interfaces with them, which lives in the source tree as a subfolder of https://github.com/rclone/rclone/tree/master/backend. Normally one can then use either of the terms and there is no practical distinction: Rclone's Dropbox backend interfaces with the Dropbox storage system, and when rclone docs mentions Dropbox, regardless if its specified as storage system, or backend, or nothing, it is usually implied what is meant. I don't know...

Regarding provider, the docs lists "Dropbox", "Amazon S3" etc as a "Storage system" and within the "Amazon S3" doc page lists providers as all the variants it can work with: AWS, DigitalOcean Spaces, Wasabi, etc. Now, on the github readme we list "Storage providers", and then lists Dropbox, Amazon S3, AWS, DigitalOcean Spaces, Wasabi, etc at the same level. By the way, there is a separate subcategory for the crypt, alias etc, described as "Virtual storage providers".

So yes, I think we at least can conclude that Wasabi is a provider but not a backend, and that S3 is a backend. But is S3 also a provider, a storage provider? And is Wasabi or S3 or both a storage system?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.